LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In The Beginning

A couple of weeks ago, my wife decided she wanted to make the guest bedroom into an office. We only use the guest bedroom a couple of time a year, I need a place to work on my non-woodworking projects, and our boys need a little more room to play. The solution is to get rid of the guest bedroom and make it into an office. I am so glad she decided to do this. I have been needing a place to work when I telework, and the boys are running out of space for all of the toys.

So, we started planning. There are three main projects that I am going to get to do for setting up this office:

(1) We need a desk. The current computer desk is simply not functional for the work I am involved with. I need something larger. More on the desk either tonight or tomorrow, so far it has been an up and down project.

(2) I am going to build some storage for the kids toys. We went to IKEA yesterday and looked at their TROFAST system. Wanting their system, but not the sized they were providing, we decided to buy the plastic bins there, and then I am going to build the frames.

(3) A cabinet to put CDs, DVDs, paper, and all the trappings of the office life into. This will put things in the office as well as getting the stuff out of another cabinet that we have in the dining room. This will, of course, open up some more storage in the cabinet of the dining room.

I need to get all of these project done as quickly as possible. I am hoping that I can have it all drawn up by the end of the week. I am planning on doing all of this using home center pine. It is cheap, and I can get it good enough to make it work. Not only that, but the desk and the cabinet are going to be Shaker style and the pine will just enhance the look.

I will update as I get things done. I hope everyone enjoys.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
In The Beginning

A couple of weeks ago, my wife decided she wanted to make the guest bedroom into an office. We only use the guest bedroom a couple of time a year, I need a place to work on my non-woodworking projects, and our boys need a little more room to play. The solution is to get rid of the guest bedroom and make it into an office. I am so glad she decided to do this. I have been needing a place to work when I telework, and the boys are running out of space for all of the toys.

So, we started planning. There are three main projects that I am going to get to do for setting up this office:

(1) We need a desk. The current computer desk is simply not functional for the work I am involved with. I need something larger. More on the desk either tonight or tomorrow, so far it has been an up and down project.

(2) I am going to build some storage for the kids toys. We went to IKEA yesterday and looked at their TROFAST system. Wanting their system, but not the sized they were providing, we decided to buy the plastic bins there, and then I am going to build the frames.

(3) A cabinet to put CDs, DVDs, paper, and all the trappings of the office life into. This will put things in the office as well as getting the stuff out of another cabinet that we have in the dining room. This will, of course, open up some more storage in the cabinet of the dining room.

I need to get all of these project done as quickly as possible. I am hoping that I can have it all drawn up by the end of the week. I am planning on doing all of this using home center pine. It is cheap, and I can get it good enough to make it work. Not only that, but the desk and the cabinet are going to be Shaker style and the pine will just enhance the look.

Looking forward to following your progress. Wishing you success on your timeline.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
In The Beginning

Great….and important project…

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
In The Beginning

If MA MA ain't happy…

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
In The Beginning

Rob,

Sounds like a busy couple of weeks ahead! Getting extra space without having to build another room is always a good thing!

Looking forward to the pictures!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
In The Beginning

Sounds like a great project. looking forward to pictures of your progress. keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
In The Beginning

You can do it!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Desk Is Born

I finally got the drawings for the new office desk done tonight. The journey of coming to this solution is an interesting one. When we first talked about setting up the office, I sat down and drew up a corner desk made out of melamine. I was not sure my wife would like it, but she assured me that everything would be ok. Whether she liked it or not, I did not. There is not another piece of furniture in the house made out of melamine. I was going to build it, but I probably never would accept it. Well, this past weekend I got fed up with trying to figure out all of the little details and decided to just go buy one. That did not work out because the store closed early to clean the floors. So, on the way home I decided to go back to building it, but I would keep it simple and keep it wood. When I got home I started looking through all of my plans and came upon a Shaker trestle table from Glen Huey in Popular Woodworking. All I needed to do was some slight modifications to account for the size that I wanted my table to be. Here are a couple of shots of my Sketchup model.

The overall size is 66" long, 30" deep, and 30" tall. The top will be made out of southern yellow pine from the home store. The feet and the posts are going to be made from fir 4×4s that I got from the home store. The stretcher will be made from southern yellow pine. In order to hide the fact that I am using two different woods, I am going to paint the base a very deep blue color. My wife mentioned black, but I just did not like the idea of black. I wanted blue originally, but a lighter blue color. Well, we finally chose, and it is blue but it is a very dark blue. I am happy with that. The top will be left natural and finished with water based polyurethane.

Well, now I just have to build it. I have not spent a full day in the shop now for several months. Every time I go out there I get frustrated trying to find things and end up quitting. Well, this Saturday I am doing a big purge of the garage, and it should help with my motivation. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have the wood planed and ready to use. I plan on getting the base of the unit built next week and then the following week I hope to get the top done. My parents are visiting at the end of the month and I am going to use the time I will have at home then to hopefully get the finishing done. This will put the desk ready to use when they leave. Right on schedule.

Next on the list is to get the storage bins designed and drawn. Look for more once I have made some progress.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
The Desk Is Born

I finally got the drawings for the new office desk done tonight. The journey of coming to this solution is an interesting one. When we first talked about setting up the office, I sat down and drew up a corner desk made out of melamine. I was not sure my wife would like it, but she assured me that everything would be ok. Whether she liked it or not, I did not. There is not another piece of furniture in the house made out of melamine. I was going to build it, but I probably never would accept it. Well, this past weekend I got fed up with trying to figure out all of the little details and decided to just go buy one. That did not work out because the store closed early to clean the floors. So, on the way home I decided to go back to building it, but I would keep it simple and keep it wood. When I got home I started looking through all of my plans and came upon a Shaker trestle table from Glen Huey in Popular Woodworking. All I needed to do was some slight modifications to account for the size that I wanted my table to be. Here are a couple of shots of my Sketchup model.

The overall size is 66" long, 30" deep, and 30" tall. The top will be made out of southern yellow pine from the home store. The feet and the posts are going to be made from fir 4×4s that I got from the home store. The stretcher will be made from southern yellow pine. In order to hide the fact that I am using two different woods, I am going to paint the base a very deep blue color. My wife mentioned black, but I just did not like the idea of black. I wanted blue originally, but a lighter blue color. Well, we finally chose, and it is blue but it is a very dark blue. I am happy with that. The top will be left natural and finished with water based polyurethane.

Well, now I just have to build it. I have not spent a full day in the shop now for several months. Every time I go out there I get frustrated trying to find things and end up quitting. Well, this Saturday I am doing a big purge of the garage, and it should help with my motivation. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have the wood planed and ready to use. I plan on getting the base of the unit built next week and then the following week I hope to get the top done. My parents are visiting at the end of the month and I am going to use the time I will have at home then to hopefully get the finishing done. This will put the desk ready to use when they leave. Right on schedule.

Next on the list is to get the storage bins designed and drawn. Look for more once I have made some progress.
OK, so we see the drawings - let see some action!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Desk Is Born

Drawings look good, if you have the melamine why not use it for the top and act sent the edges and ends with wood

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Desk Is Born

Woodisit,

I do have a small piece of melamine, but not enough for this project. Then, there is the fact that it would match nothing else that is going to be in the room, or the house for that matter. Plus, melamine to me is so cold and unfriendly. Practical, yes, but not warm and inviting like I really want my office to be.

Todd,

Work will start no later than this weekend. I need to de-clutter the shop and get rid of the junk that is clouding my mind when I try to work out there. There will probably be some more plans pictures before there are progress pictures, but I promise, there will be progress pictures. Maybe even a video at one point about a technique that I am going to try on the breadboard ends. I am not sure that I am brave enough to try the video yet, but we will see.

Rob

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
The Desk Is Born

I like the one in WoodSmith #181 I think. I saw the wife looking at it, drooling would be a better word. Wounder what my next project will be? Like I need another one, I start a pair of night stands in the fall.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
The Desk Is Born

On your mark get ready BUILD

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Toy Storage System

Hey all,

Well, the shop got cleaned up today and I can now work out there. I will be starting tomorrow working on the feet of the table. I will keep posting on table progress as significant progress happens.

I have completed the drawings for another piece of furniture that is going in the room. This time, it is a storage unit for some of the kids' toys. Since the toys are overtaking our small house, my wife wanted this to help out. We bought some plastic bins, and this is what I came up with. Well, here is what the unit looks like both with and without the bins in it:

The units are around 53" tall, 37" wide and 17" deep. I will be making them out of pine and finishing with water-based polyurethane. Hopefully this will be a fairly quick build.

Now, the only design I have left to do is a shaker-style cabinet (something like a jelly cupboard) to store my CDs, DVDs, backup drives, paper, and all of that messy looking stuff in.

Thanks for looking. I welcome any questions.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Toy Storage System

Hey all,

Well, the shop got cleaned up today and I can now work out there. I will be starting tomorrow working on the feet of the table. I will keep posting on table progress as significant progress happens.

I have completed the drawings for another piece of furniture that is going in the room. This time, it is a storage unit for some of the kids' toys. Since the toys are overtaking our small house, my wife wanted this to help out. We bought some plastic bins, and this is what I came up with. Well, here is what the unit looks like both with and without the bins in it:

The units are around 53" tall, 37" wide and 17" deep. I will be making them out of pine and finishing with water-based polyurethane. Hopefully this will be a fairly quick build.

Now, the only design I have left to do is a shaker-style cabinet (something like a jelly cupboard) to store my CDs, DVDs, backup drives, paper, and all of that messy looking stuff in.

Just a suggestion but I would add a complete back for more strength

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Toy Storage System

Hey all,

Yes, I agree. I totally overlooked the strength of the full back. We were looking at pictures of similar system and we made a couple of modifications and came up with this. I never even thought to add the full back. It is an excellent idea. I am quite sure that it would not be long until my boys would have all the bins out and trying to climb the grooves in the sides like they were ladders.

I will have to go back and put the back in. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Toy Storage System

Hey all,

Would Plywood be stronger? I saw 3/4" Maple for $65.00 at Home Depot a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Toy Storage System

Hey all,

Sandhill,

With all of the grooves, I do not want to use plywood. Plus, I need the practice on the jointer.

Jim,

I considered your suggestion and the wife and I decided to do a solid back. It will be MDF and we will paint it some color, but it will be a solid back.

Thanks all for the comments.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Desk Update - Weekend 1

Hey all,

I was hoping to have pictures to post, but I was simply wiped out afer working in the heat and humidity all weekend. I am worn out, but I made a lot of progress on the desk. The feet are done and look awesome. The posts are done, and the top supports are done, for the most part. The only thing I have left to do is notch the center support to fit into the stretcher. The top panel is glued up and the breadboard ends are made and ready to apply to the top.

This week looks too busy to get anything done in the shop, but I will be taking Friday off. I will at least get a lot done in the morning. Friday I am hoping to finish up the stretcher and wrap thing up on the base of the table. Then next Sunday I am hoping to get the breadboard ends put on the top. Then, hopefully the rest of my mini-vacation from work a week from tomorrow and Tuesday I can get things ready to finish.

Overall I am day or two behind because I did not get to work much on anything this past week because of the day job and family obligations. As I said earlier, this week is not looking great for evening work on the desk.

Oh well, here's to a very productive weekend this week, and hopefully a productive enough weekend and mini-vacation next week.

As always, thanks for reading,

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Desk Update - Weekend 1

Hey all,

I was hoping to have pictures to post, but I was simply wiped out afer working in the heat and humidity all weekend. I am worn out, but I made a lot of progress on the desk. The feet are done and look awesome. The posts are done, and the top supports are done, for the most part. The only thing I have left to do is notch the center support to fit into the stretcher. The top panel is glued up and the breadboard ends are made and ready to apply to the top.

This week looks too busy to get anything done in the shop, but I will be taking Friday off. I will at least get a lot done in the morning. Friday I am hoping to finish up the stretcher and wrap thing up on the base of the table. Then next Sunday I am hoping to get the breadboard ends put on the top. Then, hopefully the rest of my mini-vacation from work a week from tomorrow and Tuesday I can get things ready to finish.

Overall I am day or two behind because I did not get to work much on anything this past week because of the day job and family obligations. As I said earlier, this week is not looking great for evening work on the desk.

Oh well, here's to a very productive weekend this week, and hopefully a productive enough weekend and mini-vacation next week.

As always, thanks for reading,
Good progress

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.