LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
With me being a carpenter by profession and a woodworker by homework do you know how many times I have heard the questions…

"WHAT DOES YOUR FATHER DO" or "WHO IS YOUR FATHER" ???

Especially with me working in the union everyone is related to someone. Not me. I worked my way into the union and I learned on my own. My father took no part in teaching me any of my craftsmanship. I picked up tools of my own and worked my a** off. A lot of tradesmen get it handed down through family but I'm the first tradesman to exist among my whole family. Anytime people in my family have a problem, they come to me to fix it, especially my father…lol

"MY FATHER IS A TRUCKER" LMAO

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
YES! I know exactly how you feel, my father is a respiratory therapist, not a woodworker and while he can do some minor fixes around the house, when it comes to fine woodworking, well lets just say he usually leaves that to me lol. Almost every time someone looks at my shop they say something like "So I guess these are your dads tools" or "your parents really set you up here huh". Nope, my tools, bought with my money to be put in my shop, dad is welcome to use them any day of the week but I did this by myself thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea cstrang same here…any tools my dad has are mistreated and not taken care of and when he sees my shop his face lights up and he just wants all my tools…top brand name n everything

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
My dad was a master fisherman. He was the skipper of Prawn trawlers when he was younger… turned his hand to many things.. woodworking not one of them…. he did however run a demolition business pulling old houses down… and when I think of all the timber he burnt because he could not sell it… breaks my heart…
I was the academic of the family and my brother the hands on guy but now I can do anything I put my mind to and he just sits around..not doing too much at all…

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya out of 5 kids i was the golden child…lol…at 20 i bought my own house and i started my career right after high school and i'm raising my own family on my own…and i have my own workshop! :p all my other siblings sit at home working dead end jobs or not working at all and feed off my dad and i'm the youngest of the 5

·
Premium Member
25,688 Posts
Mark, the question never really bothered me. I have known of several generations in the trades. You see that in a lot of businesses. The Atty who did my inc papers had his daughter as an atty too. BTW, I'm the first generation off the farm.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I'm a pilot

my buddy cuts wood and I pile it.

Before my father who is a happy healthy 88 year old retiree…...............the whole gang were either farmers or fishermen or both. My father was the first to leave the farm and eventually got a phd in hospital administration. First son of his got his phd in mechanical engineering, sister a phd in computor programming…...................and then me.

I could tell you how dissappointed my father was when I told him that I wasnt persuing a medical degree, or an engineering degree….........but I wont.

30 years later and still making furniture and cabinets and for what it's worth. I think my dad is proud of me.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
father passed when i was 8 , i heard about it when i was 12 .
he wanted to sail around the world , only thing i got from him .
this drove me to become a woodworker .
after building boats for 10 years ,
i saw the mess the world was in ,
and decided not to bother with pirates and regulations and hilton hotels worldwide .
now i can deal with all that ,
right here at home !

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Funny, at 68 years of age, no one asks me that.
He was a farmer.
And sold gasoline to other farmers.
He once built a barn. It's still standing.
He died 3 years ago.
I miss him.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Greetings Mark, buddy:
Good subject…... thanks for the post… something to ponder on….......

I guess you could say that I got my love of wood from my dad and grandpa. Both were carpenters, house builders, framers, and cabinet makers. I started working with them in the summertimes when school would let out kinda learning the trade, so to speak. I was never forced to learn, but they taught me things, if I WANTED to learn. I never wanted to be a carpenter--- I wanted to be a musican!!! So after the war, I went to college and got two degrees-- one in Mechanical engineering w/ drafting tech., and a music degree… can you beat that.. But my love of wood, I guess you can say, was handed down from those two. But like you, I inherited no tools from them. Every tool I have I bought myself, and built my own shops. People don't realize there is a difference between carpenters and woodworkers… they think they are the same…. NOT…

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
i couldn't agree with you more, Mark about carpentry, woodworking and cabinetry being different subjects. My father was a third generation carpenter and, although he did not expect me to follow in the profession, he did, of course, try to teach me some of the fundamentals when I was much younger and knew a lot more than I do now. Back then I could not see any need to learn how to frame a wall since I would never be able to make the kind of money that I wanted as a carpenter. Of course I regret this now.

However, despite their collective knowledge of carpentry, my father, grandfather and great grandfather never were proficient cabinet makers. They could put a basic pine carcass together and it would be functional but you would be hard pressed to call it pretty. And they never made a box or cutting board. So none of them would be labeled as a cabinet maker or woodworker. However I do have some of the cabinets in my shop that my father made for my parent's kitchen when they built thier house in 1948. I wouldn't trade them for any of the finest hardwood cabinets that I could make.

But carpenters are responsible for people's lives. If their product fails then someone is likely to get hurt or possibly killed. If you stretch the defination of the term I could possibly fall in the category of a woodworker. If my product fails then all that happens is that my wife yells at me. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My family never expected me to do anything but sit and read. I was always bored silly at the thought of having to go to Lowes or HD. My uncle owned a paint store and did some woodwork, and I had a great uncle who was a carpenter. I still have the rocking chairs and horses he custom built for my brother and me. I had to take a Scenery Construction course in college, and very nearly failed it. Then I had a spinal surgery go wrong and found myself with nothing but free time, and little that worked but my hands. Then I made the mistake of trying to whittle to pass the time. This led me to a local Woodcraft. Shiny, shiny hand planes….
Luckily, I'm too poor to do any serious damage, but my family has had quite the laugh at my change of heart. They never imagined that I would find an antique tool sale in Tuscaloosa and become giddy as a schoolgirl. But it's been fun cobbling together a shop on the cheap (raiding said uncles tools was cheap indeed). Now that I finally have a DC, the road is wide open…

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.