LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm interested to find out how many people make Amish furniture or are inspired in their own furniture projects by the Amish. I'm curious because I see a lot of Amish techniques in pieces that I or my buddies make, but it's not necessarily a conscious decision. I realized this when I started to sell some of my pieces of handmade furniture and people were asking me if I was Amish!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
They build the same as we do except they use air motors instead of electric motors for drilling and screwing.
The table saws, shapers and dust collectors are the same except they are usually driven with a line shaft.

Some Churches allow them to use electric motors as long as they are generator driven.

Styles are customer driven. Just like other builders of fine furniture trying to draw in customers.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
It's hard to stereotype Amish because the rules and customs vary a lot from one location to another.

There are 2 Amish communities close to where I live and both produce some handcrafted furniture. Most of what I have seen I would categorize as early american.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I've spent a lot of time with the Amish in Ohio and Indiana.
There really is not a defined Amish furniture style.
I've been in Amish homes and didn't see any particular style.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.