LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Palax Power100S Firewood Processor

I come across some pretty amazing woodworking/woodprocessing tools online during my nightly research escapades - things I think the majority of the LJs crowd hasn't seen (like me) - so I thought I'd make a little series to highlight some of the cooler, or rarer things I unearth. First up, one of the most convenient tools I've seen for processing entire trunks into firewood in a timely fashion.

I have a bittersweet feeling when I see tools this efficient at handling trees. They grow so slowly, it almost seems disrespectful to handle them so rapidly, and emotionlessly. Still, I have to be impressed by the tech itself. It's a sweet machine.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I come across some pretty amazing woodworking/woodprocessing tools online during my nightly research escapades - things I think the majority of the LJs crowd hasn't seen (like me) - so I thought I'd make a little series to highlight some of the cooler, or rarer things I unearth. First up, one of the most convenient tools I've seen for processing entire trunks into firewood in a timely fashion.

I have a bittersweet feeling when I see tools this efficient at handling trees. They grow so slowly, it almost seems disrespectful to handle them so rapidly, and emotionlessly. Still, I have to be impressed by the tech itself. It's a sweet machine.
All I know is that it would take some serious hydralic pressure to push that wood through to be split. Most spliters are in the 37 ton class and then it will only do a single split. That thing has to be in the 500 ton or more.

Henry

·
Premium Member
25,653 Posts

Definitely a serious piece of equipment. Makes me thing of farm machinery. When Wheat was planted by had, harvest with a scythe and threshed with a flail, it took 1.5 hours to produce a bushel. Today, with mechanization and combines with 30+ foot headers, it is in the bushels per second range. That must put cords in the per hour rather than per day range :))

·
Registered
179 Posts

That's super cool.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the "dragsaw"

Most of the dragsaws I've managed to find online seem to be from years in the range of 1910 to 1920, and feature a mechanical movement similar to, but the reverse of a locomotive's drive wheel and connecting rod. Instead of a steam-driven piston driving a circular wheel, an engine-driven wheel drives a reciprocating piston, which is attached to a large cross-cutting saw. There are all manner of models on YouTube in every state of restoration or disrepair, but I particularly like the following example. It shows the motion well, including the finishing stroke. Most other videos give up far before that. I think I need one of these, connected to an exercise bike ;)

This one in particular makes me feel the power that one of these things can hold, and I worry especially for the man's legs and feet!

UPDATE: Don't forget to check out the dragsaws littering Google Images Those things could buck some pretty big logs! Perhaps the most incredible thing about the following image is that the historical site whence it comes claims that the man pictured - one John Shambolt, c. 1917 - is using the dragsaw to turn that tree into stove wood! What a waste of such enormous lumber! Makes me long for a time when - and a place where - resources were functionally infinite. Of course, I'd miss the internet ;)

·
Registered
961 Posts
the "dragsaw"

Most of the dragsaws I've managed to find online seem to be from years in the range of 1910 to 1920, and feature a mechanical movement similar to, but the reverse of a locomotive's drive wheel and connecting rod. Instead of a steam-driven piston driving a circular wheel, an engine-driven wheel drives a reciprocating piston, which is attached to a large cross-cutting saw. There are all manner of models on YouTube in every state of restoration or disrepair, but I particularly like the following example. It shows the motion well, including the finishing stroke. Most other videos give up far before that. I think I need one of these, connected to an exercise bike ;)

This one in particular makes me feel the power that one of these things can hold, and I worry especially for the man's legs and feet!

UPDATE: Don't forget to check out the dragsaws littering Google Images Those things could buck some pretty big logs! Perhaps the most incredible thing about the following image is that the historical site whence it comes claims that the man pictured - one John Shambolt, c. 1917 - is using the dragsaw to turn that tree into stove wood! What a waste of such enormous lumber! Makes me long for a time when - and a place where - resources were functionally infinite. Of course, I'd miss the internet ;)

Okay Gary, I know what you're doing watching all these videos. You are trying to find a way to cut up the lumber you've been hauling around in the back of your pickup. . So when will we see your homemade v8 powered dragsaw?

·
Premium Member
25,653 Posts
the "dragsaw"

I got a chuckle out of the operator wiping his brow as the saw did all the work :)) I'm sure dropping the blade into the sod is good for it! wonder why he didn't put a piece of wood there for it to drop on?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Predator: V8 Chainsaw

The Predator - born in Washington state, USA - is a 2-man chainsaw powered by a V8 engine, capable of cutting through a 3' log in less than a second. All of their videos of this monster are fun, but this recap on an unspecified television program (which seems at the very least sponsored by Prolong Oil) sums things up nicely.

My first question - "Who would build such a dangerous beast?" - has been answered. His name is Robert Andrews. My second question - "What on earth would give one the courage to handle such a monster on its inaugural run?" - has not.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

The Predator - born in Washington state, USA - is a 2-man chainsaw powered by a V8 engine, capable of cutting through a 3' log in less than a second. All of their videos of this monster are fun, but this recap on an unspecified television program (which seems at the very least sponsored by Prolong Oil) sums things up nicely.

My first question - "Who would build such a dangerous beast?" - has been answered. His name is Robert Andrews. My second question - "What on earth would give one the courage to handle such a monster on its inaugural run?" - has not.
I just looked at all three of your posts. Amazing stuff. Efficiency and sport. What next a V8 belt sander?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

LOL!

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

Wow!! I have enough respect for my little chain saw. I cannot imagine trying to run one of these but I bet it would make a pretty spectacular milling machine.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts

Yikes!! Those guys are insane! I don't imagine that their phone is ringing off the hook with all the commercial possibilities. And what about felling the trees? Maybe they could chain the thing to one of the branches of the tree they're dropping? ;-)

·
Registered
8,740 Posts

would it be an overkill to park one of those in the garage to clean out the shrubs?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Words fail me. But the possibilities are really exciting! The implementation is, however, a little more daunting.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts

Ar Ar ArAr

·
Registered
72 Posts

O.M.G…............

·
Premium Member
25,653 Posts

Runs in the same league as monster trucks and bull riders :))

·
Registered
298 Posts

11 comments so far and no mention of Tim Allen and his quest for 'more power'...

·
Registered
18,356 Posts

jlsmith:
I think Gary's AR AR AR was an indirect nod to Tim the Tool man.

·
Registered
298 Posts

bureaucrat - perhaps it is… however I'm not sure 'indirect' should ever be used in the same sentence with Tim Allen… lol

1 - 20 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.