LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have sanded a 2×2 piece of plywood and painted a design with acrylic paints. Now I want to seal it before hanging it in the garden. I have Teak Oil, Danish Oil, and sprays as shown. What would make the best sealer? Is there a better option than these? I live in the high desert with hot dry summers and snowy winters.
Rainbow Nature Cloud Paint Art paint

Liquid Fluid Paint Bottle Personal care

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,515 Posts
with your weather conditions i dont know whats gonna protect that if it's exposed to the weather and sun,id say youll get a few years at best.id probably go for the minwax?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hello Max,

Your "plywood" piece of artwork is (very nice but is) far more exposed to the weather on the edges than the painted face. I appreciate that you are hoping to retain the colors of the painting, but a piece of plywood exposed to the elements is going to delaminate and get really ugly fairly quickly. I really don't have much to offer other than trying to really soak any finishing materials you decide on into the edges of the plywood. You will never eliminate the inevitable, but you can delay it.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Just a thought…

I build baits that end up in the water. They are painted with acrylic paint then clearcoated. 2 part epoxy brushed on would seal it permanently. I'm not talking about the stuff in the syringes from the big box store. It's the stuff in the bottles, you can get small ones, that you mix together in a cup then brush on. It's not too thick and it will thin if you hit it with a hair dryer on high for just a minute. It will level pretty good if you don't apply it too thick and will look like it was under glass when done. And since I do lures I can attest to the fact that the water won't bother it.

Not as inexpensive as a spray application of something but does a nice job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.