LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mount. St. Helens, Crosswinds

Here is a piece in my "Aftermath" series, the inspiration for which was the catastrophic eruption on May 18, 1980 of Mount St. Helens, which became the deadliest and most economically destructive volcanic event in the history of the United States. This platter captures the mountain a few seconds after eruption, as the upper part of the mountain is blown away.

News reports indicated that as a result of the eruption, 57 people were killed; and 250 homes were totally destroyed. In addition, 47 bridges, 15 miles railways and 185 miles of highway were destroyed. The eruption of Mount St. Helens caused a massive debris avalanche, which reduced the elevation of the mountain's summit from 9,677 feet to 8,364 feet and reformed it into a mile-wide horseshoe-shaped crater.

This shallow platter is turned from a highly figured piece of Box Elder. In the lower center portion of the platter, you can see the summit of Mount St. Helens and just above to the right and left, the plume of ash and debris are represented by the streaked curl on the right and burled areas to the left of the summit.

The platter features a delicate blind back-cut rim and is 1/8" thick. All pieces in my "Aftermath" series mark significant events in human history which significantly changed the world, or our perception of it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"Aftermath, Prince William Sound"

This piece is titled "Aftermath, Prince William Sound" marking the oil spill on March 24, 1989 of the oil tanker Exxon Valdez, which struck Bligh Reef in Prince William Sound, Alaska spilling an estimated 11 million gallons of crude oil into the pristine waters of PWS.

This is a shallow 14" bowl in Silver Maple with a delicate raised bead on the rim and a back-cut relief on the interior sweep. The piece was chosen to represent this event because of the degradation of the heartwood caused by the Xylaria hypoxylon fungus. The fine black zone lines in the lower heartwood area mimic pools of oil on the water as it is being washed ashore.

My "Aftermath" series projects have been some of the most popular pieces I have turned over the years, each piece marking a significant event in human history (without regard to the politics of the event) that in many ways, changed the way we all look at the world around us. As a result of this spill, the oil industry began a massive effort to replace the global fleet of oil tankers to double-hulled versions to increase the safety of transporting crude oil in the world's waters.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

This piece is titled "Aftermath, Prince William Sound" marking the oil spill on March 24, 1989 of the oil tanker Exxon Valdez, which struck Bligh Reef in Prince William Sound, Alaska spilling an estimated 11 million gallons of crude oil into the pristine waters of PWS.

This is a shallow 14" bowl in Silver Maple with a delicate raised bead on the rim and a back-cut relief on the interior sweep. The piece was chosen to represent this event because of the degradation of the heartwood caused by the Xylaria hypoxylon fungus. The fine black zone lines in the lower heartwood area mimic pools of oil on the water as it is being washed ashore.

My "Aftermath" series projects have been some of the most popular pieces I have turned over the years, each piece marking a significant event in human history (without regard to the politics of the event) that in many ways, changed the way we all look at the world around us. As a result of this spill, the oil industry began a massive effort to replace the global fleet of oil tankers to double-hulled versions to increase the safety of transporting crude oil in the world's waters.

very powerful.
what an amazing series.

It really reminds us about what is important and how petty our daily concerns often are.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hello,

You're very kind MsDebbieP… Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this piece, I sincerely appreciate your comments. I have several more pieces in this series that I will post from time to time. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing more. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.