LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 2 of 24 Posts

· Registered
573 Posts
That's the cool thing about science. No need to "decide who to believe". People have done testing of dust collectors with different amounts of air flow restriction and video taped the results.

YouTube overfloweth with examples of this. Mathaais Wandel of WoodGears has several videos that show current flow readings for same unit with different amounts of air-flow allowed.

Universally, a fan uses more energy when it is moving more air. Agreed, on the surface, it is counter-intuitive that removing an obstacle would increase the power consumption. You could look at it another way…all of physics is beholden to the laws of thermodynamics. One of those laws can be paraphrased as "there is no free lunch". Moving more stuff requires more energy.

Pretty much a degreed Electrical Engineer for 30 years. Just sayin.

· Registered
573 Posts
Separate answer more specific to the OP question…

Many of us have our DC ported outside rather than filtering the air and sending it back to the shop. It is a very common thing to do. So far (knock on wood) I have never seen a posting here or elsewhere saying "I changed my DC to port outside and it broke right away". Not saying it can't happen or hasn't happened…just saying it is a common thing to do and there is no evidence that it is particularly risky to the health of the DC.

One other point…if you're putting a hole in the shop anyway, consider moving the whole unit outside rather than just porting it outside. Cuts down on the noise considerably.

1 - 2 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.