LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Plank Hardwood

Brown Rectangle Wood Table Triangle

Help! I am making a fancy cutting board and I did not think about gluing it together until I got to this step. I tried clamping it from all angles ( even with angled clamps) but they kept sliding down the wood. Any and all advice on gluing this contraption together would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Use a hot glue gun to glue some wedge clamps to the edge and then clamp the glue up. When cured you can easily knock off the blocks and then scrape/sand the glue residue right off. Just did this with a very large frame that I couldn't fit a clamp onto.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Put it on a piece of plywood. Mark the edges and cut the shape out Cut the plywood in half and remove 1/4. Place board in the void and clamp.

- mrjinx007
Excellent. Make sure the edges of the plywood are parallel to your center piece.

I am assuming the triangles are already glued.

- mrjinx007
I'm sure of it. It looks like the striped board was glued up, cut to size, then cut on an angle to make the two triangles.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
i like the plywood idea and caul blocks with hot glue… maybe some combination of those two?

Andy do you think band clamps would give enough equal pressure?

a cut at that angle leaves a lot of open grain- almost end grain- exposed. I'm thinking its gonna need lots of glue and lots of pressure. whaddaya think?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
You could put a small brad nail in the center piece on the edge, clip the head off so it's only slightly above the surface, then push your pieces together by hand. Then seperate them, add glue, and clamp with angled blocks. The brads will help align the pieces and keep them from slipping when you clamp. As long as you put them near the center, they shouldn't pose an issue in the future.

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Tooch, I have used band clamps and ratchet straps for a lot of odd shaped glue ups. You can put a LOT of squeeze with a 1" ratchet strap!

·
Registered
73 Posts
A ratchet strap would work but you might need some downward pressure to keep it from buckling when you apply squeeze. The same might be true of the plywood jig. Jigs are always nice if you plan to make more. An alternative that occurs to me is to use dowels, assuming the board is thick enough. I think the dowels would prevent buckling or slippage along the glue edge when squeeze either from the ratchet or the plywood clamp is applied.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.