LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Pine, I dislike Pine

I have been teaching myself the art of carving since my wife came home with a copy of "Woodcarving Illustrated" this summer. I started out with a trusty Buck pocket knife and have grown to a Japanese 5 piece detail set and a Flexcut bench knife.

Since I am new at this I had not run out and purchased basswood, butternut or anything else. I have a box full of scrap 2×4, 2×2, and 1×2 pine to play with. I have found that pine is way to lose grained for some carvings.

I have some scrap red oak in box my box of goodies as well. I have found that I don't have the time to pump up, to look like Hulk Hogan, to push through the oak.

Anyway, this is basically a rant on pine. I love it for lots of things I make because of my romance with the Old West. I dislike it because when carving and with one little slip "ohhh, sugar!"

This piece was an off shoot of Snowdog's, http://lumberjocks.com/projects/2656. It had a bit of checking that I did not think was very deep or would cause problems as the piece progressed, WRONG!

Live and learn!

Off my box and back to work!

Enjoy!

p.s. In the background is a Santa from the latest Woodcarving Illustrated and a Snowman of my own desire.

p.p.s. Yes they are both Pine. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

I have been teaching myself the art of carving since my wife came home with a copy of "Woodcarving Illustrated" this summer. I started out with a trusty Buck pocket knife and have grown to a Japanese 5 piece detail set and a Flexcut bench knife.

Since I am new at this I had not run out and purchased basswood, butternut or anything else. I have a box full of scrap 2×4, 2×2, and 1×2 pine to play with. I have found that pine is way to lose grained for some carvings.

I have some scrap red oak in box my box of goodies as well. I have found that I don't have the time to pump up, to look like Hulk Hogan, to push through the oak.

Anyway, this is basically a rant on pine. I love it for lots of things I make because of my romance with the Old West. I dislike it because when carving and with one little slip "ohhh, sugar!"

This piece was an off shoot of Snowdog's, http://lumberjocks.com/projects/2656. It had a bit of checking that I did not think was very deep or would cause problems as the piece progressed, WRONG!

Live and learn!

Enjoy!

p.s. In the background is a Santa from the latest Woodcarving Illustrated and a Snowman of my own desire.

i'm wishing you luck! :)
I have the same relationship with pine and my scrollsaw-easy to work with but then "snap" .. game over.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts

Live and learn!

Enjoy!

Good ol' pine.sorry firewood, terrible fence posts, not bad for floors but cuttin' and carvin', uh-uh.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Live and learn!

Enjoy!

Go get the Basswood you will enjoy carving it and it is cheep :)

·
Registered
8,861 Posts

Live and learn!

Enjoy!

Welcome to the world of Carving!

I've found that quarter sawed White pine, or of any kind of pine is great for relief carvings.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts

Live and learn!

Enjoy!

Buckskin,
I was just thinking, Are you sure your knives , & chisels are sharp enough.

I even had trouble with Pine, & Basswood, until I found out I wasn't doing a good enough job of sharpening. You have to use a leather strop with a real fine grit, for a real sharp edge.

Your tools edge should have a mirror finish.

·
Registered
570 Posts

Live and learn!

Enjoy!

I commisserate with you, Buckskin. I have same problems with pine and redwood, too! If you need a relatively inexpensive place, try this. It is woodworkerssource.net

They usually have some killer deals on wood, including basswood. Check their "garage sale" and internet specials. They had a lot of larger basswood last month on garage sale.

God Bless,
Hawg

·
Registered
105 Posts

Live and learn!

Enjoy!

Some Pine carves good, bass wood is probably the best though. but i rip scrap 2by4 pieces to make santa ornaments. building cabnet's or so forth with pine sure clogs sand paper.but due to breathing problem's i dont sand my carving's. use a old belt glue it to a piece of srcap wood rough side up ,to make a strop . stropping ever few minutes keep's you from sharpening as often . i find hone compound at big flea markets( who knows what the grit size is but it's cheap)

·
Registered
291 Posts

Live and learn!

Enjoy!

Pine is a very unforgiving (at the worst possible moment) wood.
I like the rustic look you can get with it, but I don't like how
unpredictable it can be. I should be the only unpredictable anything
in the shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.