LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have been turning wood for quite a few years now, but within the last year i have seen a lot of people working with acrylic on the lathe. so i ordered a few bottle stopper kits along with some acrylic blanks. the kits i ordered thread into the blank so instead of buying a tap the right size and messing around with that. i ordered the threaded inserts that p.s.i. just recently listed on their site. any recommendations on the type of glue i should use on the inserts. i normally use ca for wood. and any tips for working with acrylic are also appreciated

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would use a 2-part epoxy, I don't have any experience with what your explaining but I know that epoxy works cause that is what I use to glue my pen tubes into the acrylic blanks with. Somethings I have found while using acrylic are:

Make sure your tools are sharp, acrylic dulls my chisels much, much faster then with wood. Just sharpen your tools often.

Don't try to hog of a bunch of materiel at once, doing this tends to just make the acrylic shatter or cause ''tearout'' (I don't know what else to call it… lol)

Go a bit faster, I have found for me turning up the speed of the lathe helps to reused the blank from catching

Now I am no expert, but these are just somethings I have learned over the time I've been working with acrylic pens. Hope that helps a bit. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice. the parts i ordered should be in sometime next week. I'll definitely put some pictures in my projects ad let ya know how it all worked out. dull tools will not be a problem i like to keep a stone on my lathe just to touch up my tools while I'm working

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.