LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
A project that I have been itching to do, is to go really big with a boatbuilding project with plans from Glen-L marine. I still have my catalog from perhaps 20 years ago, and whenever I dig it out I have trouble deciding between a sailboat and one of those small working tugs. The tug really is my idea of a liesurely fishing boat, and sure to attract attention, and it's trailer-able! But now that I no longer live near the ocean, I should be looking for a project more suitable for the Red River here. I've helped others with their strip canoes or 'pea-pods', but I'd like to go big, as I said, with something in the 24-28 foot range. Hull construction will have to be, of necessity, outdoors. Here's their website: http://www.boatdesigns.com/departments.asp?dept=2 ...but it's sure to give you the fever!
Should I simply abandon the idea of a wooden-hulled boat and go strictly fiberglas? Any Lumberjocks ever built a wooden boat from plans? Should I just buy a boat and be done with it?

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, DaveR! Wow, the Candu E-Z Tug is impressive! I'll have to look over this option a little more carefully. Also, as much as I'd prefer to build in wood, the thought of aluminum construction appeals to me too. I had Welding in a Con-Ed program, and welding aluminum was quite an experience. I'm on a slippery slope now…I shouldn't even be looking at new projects til I get ahead of my backlog….

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.