LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The design

></a>

></a>

This is my latest project which I am about to undertake. It is a Tea Cart that was sketched by my client. She wanted an Alvar Aalto inspired tea cart and she designed this piece and asked me to build it. There will be a lot of challenges here for me. The biggest challenge will be the bent wood lamination. The client has selected quarter sawn white ash with a slight fiddleback figure to it. The top tray will be ash with white glass mosaic tiles while the bottom tray will be all ash. The sides of the trays will be box jointed. The wheels will be painted white and made of either poplar or mdf. The cart will be for indoor use only. Also not shown in the sketch will be a woven wood basket that will sit down in the top tray and be removeable. Needless to say this project will be a huge challenge for me.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
The design

></a>

></a>

This is my latest project which I am about to undertake. It is a Tea Cart that was sketched by my client. She wanted an Alvar Aalto inspired tea cart and she designed this piece and asked me to build it. There will be a lot of challenges here for me. The biggest challenge will be the bent wood lamination. The client has selected quarter sawn white ash with a slight fiddleback figure to it. The top tray will be ash with white glass mosaic tiles while the bottom tray will be all ash. The sides of the trays will be box jointed. The wheels will be painted white and made of either poplar or mdf. The cart will be for indoor use only. Also not shown in the sketch will be a woven wood basket that will sit down in the top tray and be removeable. Needless to say this project will be a huge challenge for me.
I look forward to seeing this project.

This has to be pretty exciting.

·
In Loving Memory
10,319 Posts
The design

></a>

></a>

Looks like you have your work cut out for you.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
The design

></a>

></a>

wow…good luck…one question…why does she want painted wheels with the rest so intriquitely wood worked (bent laminations, box joints etc…)...

keep us posted on the progress…

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
The design

></a>

></a>

This is going to be a challenging project!!! But it is with challenges like this that we grow and develop as woodworkers. This is going to be an interesting blog.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The design

></a>

></a>

crazy man you rule.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The design

></a>

></a>

How did you price it out? What is your plan for the woven basket? Interesting project.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The design

></a>

></a>

Gary, you are totally right on that …I do definitely have my work cut out for me.

Napaman, the white wheels are a detail from the inspiration cart and will help tie in the white mosaic tile keeping the whole piece light in feel.

EdC, as far as pricing it out I figured material cost and the time it would take me to make this estimated at 50 hours (not including the time I spend scratching my head thinking the details through). I ended up lowering my shop rate on this as I really wanted to do this challenging project. I also knew what the cost of a Aalto Tea cart is so I knew I had to be competitive with that and that became a benchmark for my pricing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Wheels are in motion!

The first order of business was to start on something simple for this project…Cutting the wheels. Since the client wanted painted wheels I decided to do them out of MDF since it will be stable and paint out very well. Using my homemade circle jig I set the jig to cut a 14"DIA circle. Taking a light 1st pass I go down to about 1/4". I then took my jig saw and followed just inside the outer edge of my router cut to remove the bulk of the material. I then followed up with my router again to trim up the rest of the stock to arrive at a perfect circle. Step 1 done!
></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.
I decided to take the CAD drawing that I had of the tea cart and print the frame shape out full scale. Doing this on my home printer meant that I needed to print this on 8.5×11 size paper so I created a 6"x6" grid over the shape and printed 24 pages. I then connected my grid together to create my paper template.

></a>

I now turn my sights to building the bending form. This takes almost 2 full 4×8 sheets of MDF. The form requires 5 layers of 3/4 mdf so I have a lot of cutting and routing ahead of me. I used good old graphite on the back of the paper template and traced over my lines to transfer the shape onto my top piece of mdf which would become my permanent template. I cut the mdf out accounting for the thickness of the lamination (I needed 5/8") and filed and sanded until I was happy with the shape. I then cut the remaining 4 layers one at a time clamping each piece to my new MDF template and then used my router and flush trim bit. Once I had all 5 layers for both male and female forms I glued and nailed them up. That female section of the form is HEAVY.

></a>

Since this was my first time doing bent lamination I decide to do a test run to iron out any glitches that I know I will encounter. I am using QTR SAWN ASH WITH A LIGHT FIGURE and I decided due to the complex curve I needed to do this lamination out of veneer. Here are a few shots of the stock that I purchased from TheVeneerStore.COM.

></a>

</a>></a>

Each lamination consists of 25 layers! I used Better Bond CAT PPR veneer glue for this. The results…Still in the rough stage but you get the idea.

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

I have a lot of hand work to get these to where I need them to be but that will be for another day.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts

The first order of business was to start on something simple for this project…Cutting the wheels. Since the client wanted painted wheels I decided to do them out of MDF since it will be stable and paint out very well. Using my homemade circle jig I set the jig to cut a 14"DIA circle. Taking a light 1st pass I go down to about 1/4". I then took my jig saw and followed just inside the outer edge of my router cut to remove the bulk of the material. I then followed up with my router again to trim up the rest of the stock to arrive at a perfect circle. Step 1 done!
></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.
I decided to take the CAD drawing that I had of the tea cart and print the frame shape out full scale. Doing this on my home printer meant that I needed to print this on 8.5×11 size paper so I created a 6"x6" grid over the shape and printed 24 pages. I then connected my grid together to create my paper template.

></a>

I now turn my sights to building the bending form. This takes almost 2 full 4×8 sheets of MDF. The form requires 5 layers of 3/4 mdf so I have a lot of cutting and routing ahead of me. I used good old graphite on the back of the paper template and traced over my lines to transfer the shape onto my top piece of mdf which would become my permanent template. I cut the mdf out accounting for the thickness of the lamination (I needed 5/8") and filed and sanded until I was happy with the shape. I then cut the remaining 4 layers one at a time clamping each piece to my new MDF template and then used my router and flush trim bit. Once I had all 5 layers for both male and female forms I glued and nailed them up. That female section of the form is HEAVY.

></a>

Since this was my first time doing bent lamination I decide to do a test run to iron out any glitches that I know I will encounter. I am using QTR SAWN ASH WITH A LIGHT FIGURE and I decided due to the complex curve I needed to do this lamination out of veneer. Here are a few shots of the stock that I purchased from TheVeneerStore.COM.

></a>

</a>></a>

Each lamination consists of 25 layers! I used Better Bond CAT PPR veneer glue for this. The results…Still in the rough stage but you get the idea.

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

I have a lot of hand work to get these to where I need them to be but that will be for another day.
SWEET…wow…that is amazing!!! I have sooooo much to learn!!!!! Thanks for sharing the process!!!

·
Registered
8,904 Posts

></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.

></a>

></a>

></a>

</a>></a>

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

Oh boy! This is a fun one to follow!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.

></a>

></a>

></a>

</a>></a>

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

Cool, bent lamination is very intreaguing to me but I think I still have a bit to learn about the basics before I go off trying something like this. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.

></a>

></a>

></a>

</a>></a>

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

The (resultant) form looks very nice! The jig (form) is nice too…

·
Registered
813 Posts

></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.

></a>

></a>

></a>

</a>></a>

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

That's why I love this site. Always something new to learn.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.

></a>

></a>

></a>

</a>></a>

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

Looks great :)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.

></a>

></a>

></a>

</a>></a>

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

Very cool! Ambitious.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.

></a>

></a>

></a>

</a>></a>

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

Very nice work sir!

·
Registered
912 Posts

></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.

></a>

></a>

></a>

</a>></a>

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

Hey BFD,

What are the wedges for? Just curious. I am dreaming up a headboard that might want some bent lams.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.

></a>

></a>

></a>

</a>></a>

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

Thanks all for your comments. I am definitely in unchartered waters on this project but I guess that is what makes it interesting.

Hi ChicoWoodnut.

First off are you experiencing the same terrible smokey air that we are in Folsom up in Chico? The wedges were an extra precaution that I used when I noticed during the glue up a gap between the lamination and the form. I placed wedges on both sides of the form to prevent the lamination from possible separation between layers while it was drying and it seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
912 Posts

></a>

></a>

Now It gets interesting.

></a>

></a>

></a>

</a>></a>

[URL=<redpre#7]
></a>

></a>

></a>

Thanks bfd,

I am guessing the smoke up here is worse since the fires are all around us. One is in Magalia which is only about 20 miles away. Here is a picture I took of the sun yesterday in its evening retreat. The color of the sun is accurate as is the grey sky.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.