LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
So there is a guy (about 40 minutes away) I found on Craigslist that is selling some black walnut for $2.50/bd foot. It has been air dried for 4 years. It is 4/4 with live edges. He milled it himself. Lengths are up to 12' and 13" wide. He says its very nice. Before I make the trip out there - with just that knowledge, do you think its worth it?? $2.50 a bd foot seems like an incredible price. I'm curious as to what you guys think. Here's the link to his Craigslist Page

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
personally, i think air dried is a bit nicer that kiln dried. just in my limited experience. that seems like a good price. a great price if it is good quality lumber. remember that the widest boards may contain the pith. the pith almost always needs to be removed on walnut because it is a weakspot and will eventually crack.

·
Registered
28,289 Posts
That's a fair price for dry walnut. If it was planed you would pay more at a store. Check it out and sort your pieces when you buy them. Even at that price, you don't want warped or cracked material within a pile.
Good find!!

Look out for bugs in the sap wood. He said it has a live edge- that means the sap wood will be there. I have a stack drying in the barn and it has a long line of fine dust along each board. There were little bugs in the sap wood with the natural edge. I toolk it all out and cut all the sap off with a skill saw and burned it. No more dust!

·
Registered
165 Posts
This could be a good deal (or not). You will have to take a look to know for sure. I have some experience with this same thing (going out to look at some wood that is for sale on craigs list that was milled by the guy selling it). In each case I was disapointed because the milling job was terrible (an amature not knowing what he was doing). I dont' respond to those ad's any more.

But like I said, you won't know until you look. Good luck,

·
Registered
413 Posts
Do you have the means to test the moisture content yourself? Around my wife's hometown there are a lot guys trying to sell lumber that they claim to be dried but once you test it, you discover it was recently sawn (possibly not even legally harvested). I'm always skeptical of prices that seem too good to be true.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.