LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Congrats on the nice find, Richard! Put up some before and after pics on the restoration thread when you get her all cleaned up.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Awesome. Looks like it has the flywheel which is often missing and isn't missing anything else I can see. Did you manage to score any of the bits with it? They have a bit different shank on them.

I'd really like to get one of these some day too.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. Looks like it has the flywheel which is often missing and isn t missing anything else I can see. Did you manage to score any of the bits with it? They have a bit different shank on them.

I d really like to get one of these some day too.

- Tim
Tim, the guy I bought it from didn't have any bits. What kind of shank did the original bits have? I have used modern bits in my brace before without any problems.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Yeah apparently you can still get the compatible bits, but most people adapt a modern chuck to fit in the vintage style 1/2" chuck.

Here's a good rundown, and scroll down to post #10 for some good details.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91353

Short version the bits are called Silver and Deming, and you can still get them. Even harbor freight has them, but finding smaller than 1/2" bits is harder. You'll probably have to file or grind your own flat on the shank of a modern bit though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.