LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Playable!

Daniel wanted to get back to his friends pretty badly, so last night we got the electronics installed (with some pain), and broke a string stringing it up, and there's a lot of tweaking left to be done, but it was playable:

Need to lower the bridge, file the edges of the frets a little better, verify that we've got the electronics properly installed because the volume knob was doing less than we expected, and spend some time tuning, tweaking the bridge head position and possibly even filing the sides of the frets, but it's mostly there.

And at 6:40 this morning, in the rain, he caught the bus back home.

Similar content at my personal web site.
Yeah, I think you're right. He's gonna come back down in a week and do some tuning on it, and we'll see how he feels about the size of the peghead then!

One possibility would be to cut off the straight side and move it in about an inch or so. He's kinda stuck on the axe/halberd feel of the peghead, I'm not so sure that goes well with the Les Paul-ish body style, but… Teenagers, whatcha gonna do, hey?

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Playable!

Daniel wanted to get back to his friends pretty badly, so last night we got the electronics installed (with some pain), and broke a string stringing it up, and there's a lot of tweaking left to be done, but it was playable:

Need to lower the bridge, file the edges of the frets a little better, verify that we've got the electronics properly installed because the volume knob was doing less than we expected, and spend some time tuning, tweaking the bridge head position and possibly even filing the sides of the frets, but it's mostly there.

I do like your scroll saw suggestion, though I don't have one. I'll have to play with inlay some more. All the stuff we did for this was with a fully-constrained router, maybe we could do some marquetry that fit in a square or a rectangle, or maybe I need to learn how to do the unconstrained router inlay!

· In Loving Memory
229 Posts
Playable!

Hey Dan, like I said I think it is a great Guitar!
I know what you mean about teenagers! If he likes it leave it!
It was just my random, backwards looking in thought's:)
I have never built a guitar, I have refurbished a few and destroyed a few LOL!
If I was you I would be very proud of it!
Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas!

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Done. For now.

2012-12-27GuitarWithNewBridge.jpg

Daniel came back for another visit and said "yeah, it sounds really off at the 12th fret". With visions of "oh, crap, we have to mill off that fret and move it" we started playing with things, and discovered that the bridge was in the wrong place. The bridge had individually adjustable string positions, so we moved them, and got a sound that was okay, but the bridge was also really too high.

So I chucked it up in the milling machine, milled it down a bit, then tried to clamp it at an angle to put a bevel back in some of the pieces, and of course that caused the whole thing to flip out of the clamps and be munged by the bit and… yeah, it was ugly.

With no place to buy a replacement bridge open yet on a Sunday morning, we decided to make our own, out of purpleheart and some strip brass I had around, and lo and behold it let us put it in exactly the right place, and sounded awesome! What's better, there's enough room in the frets and vibrato in Daniel's playing style that the micro-adjustment didn't matter, he was playing with the sound all the time anyway.

Then we went out and built another bridge, being a little more careful with the brass filing this time, and did a few other tweaks, and declared it done!

2012-12-27Guitar1.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar2.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar4.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar5.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar6.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar7.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar8.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar9.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar10.jpg

Same content at my personal site.

· Registered
2,212 Posts
Done. For now.

2012-12-27GuitarWithNewBridge.jpg

Daniel came back for another visit and said "yeah, it sounds really off at the 12th fret". With visions of "oh, crap, we have to mill off that fret and move it" we started playing with things, and discovered that the bridge was in the wrong place. The bridge had individually adjustable string positions, so we moved them, and got a sound that was okay, but the bridge was also really too high.

So I chucked it up in the milling machine, milled it down a bit, then tried to clamp it at an angle to put a bevel back in some of the pieces, and of course that caused the whole thing to flip out of the clamps and be munged by the bit and… yeah, it was ugly.

With no place to buy a replacement bridge open yet on a Sunday morning, we decided to make our own, out of purpleheart and some strip brass I had around, and lo and behold it let us put it in exactly the right place, and sounded awesome! What's better, there's enough room in the frets and vibrato in Daniel's playing style that the micro-adjustment didn't matter, he was playing with the sound all the time anyway.

Then we went out and built another bridge, being a little more careful with the brass filing this time, and did a few other tweaks, and declared it done!

2012-12-27Guitar1.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar2.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar4.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar5.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar6.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar7.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar8.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar9.jpg 2012-12-27Guitar10.jpg

Same content at my personal site.
i love it! congrats! may it bring enjoyment for a looooong time…that is why I love projects like this-projects that get used--instruments, boats etc…not just something sitting up on a mantle…real enjoyment…(not to say there is anything wrong with the other projects--I have made a few--but when its a project that gets used…I think its extra cool!).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.