LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Howdy,

I know there are a whole bunch of ways to skin a cat. So here's one more. If someone already does this, I'm not surprised.

It's really hard to finish all sides of a picture frame unless you can get to all sides without touching an area you already added the finish to.

Try this.

Grab those tiny clamps that came with your Irwin set last black Friday. Yep - those clamps that never get used.
Go ahead and grab a hunk of plywood as well. Make sure that plywood has at least one measurement smaller than the interior rabbits of the frame.

Clamp them to the plywood.

Wood Orange Flooring Floor Wood stain

Mount the picture frame on the ends of the clamps.
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Table

If you don't have those itsy bitsy clamps, smile. The six inch clamps work better and the 12 inch clamps even better than those.

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Wood stain

Notice the scrap of wood I used as my base. I just added two clamps to one side roughly even with each other. I added the other two about 2 inches past where the frame will rest. I mounted the rabbit on the fist side then pulled the whole thing toward the other clamps until I could seat it on the second set of clamps. Now the frame is mounted and pretty secure because those clamp set are pulling away from each other. Call it spring loaded tension.

Apply finish and set the whole thing off to the side to dry. Yee-haw!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
New approach to holding the workpiece so it can be Finished…

COOL… :)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark,
thanks for the tip, very timely for me, need to make up a pic frame to hold a mirror for my nephews new bathroom vanity.

- conifur
Howdy conifur,

I hope it works well for you. Let me know how you like it.

Everyone,

Thanks very much for the feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.