LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
top slab completion

Step of completion for the top
1 - tail vise install
2 - plane stop install
2 - alignment and bolting down
3 - final oiling

The tail vise is a rockler 9 inch vise. I described the initial fitting in an earlier blog entry in this series. I delayed installing it until the V-twin vise was installed and fitted because this vise is heavy and I needed to move the top around a bit for for fitting the V-twin.

Its held by 4×3/8 carriage bolts through the top and a 3/8 lag screw in the front, with the iron flush with the end of the bench.

Wood Hardwood Gas Electric blue Plank

Wood Gas Hardwood Engineering Electrical wiring

I prepared front and rear chops from a slab of hickory and lined them with black leather.
The rear chop is held by 3x #10 stainless screws. To locate the the screw holes in the vise, I inserted dowel center finders into the holes, put the chop in position, and then pressed them in by closing the vise

( screws are not driven home in this picture : )

Wood Gas Wood stain Machine Composite material

My intent was that the back bench top slab would align along the line of the rear chop, but I found this was not possible.

Wood Natural material Wood stain Plank Rectangle

Somewhere, I had miss measured when attaching hold down shims on the under side and these were stopping it from getting into the correct position.
Wood Floor Wood stain Hardwood Flooring

It was about an 1/8" or so off, so I flipped it over and trimmed off 3/8".

Wood Floor Wood stain Flooring Plank

This was better.

My next alignment problem was that the two bench top slabs need to be perfectly parallel with each other so that trays may rest between them and be free to slide from one end of the bench to the other. Additionally, the bench top needs to be flush with the outside of the legs to support vertical clamping. I seemed to be about a 1/16th plus a touch off from something I did somewhere. It was hard to determine exactly where it happened. Maybe when I tied down the front slab for the V-twin… any whoo … all else is fixed in space and gotta make it fit.

a 1/32 taper here

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plank Tool

a 1/32 taper there ( a #10 1/2 with a slight lateral skew adjustment is handy to get into the corners )

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plank Table

and all is good

Table Wood Wood stain Plank Hardwood

After tie-ing the bench top down with a few carriage bolts, I pulled a veritas plane stop out of a drawer where its been sitting for a long time waiting for a home. Its an oddly shaped thing. I thought it might be a risky chore to get the right mortise fit for it but it ended up being not much more then a chip carving exercise.

Wood Wood stain Hand tool Hardwood Circuit component

Wood Tool Ingredient Rectangle Wood stain

With the two bench tops in their final space, I tuned up their inter-leveling and flatness.

Table Furniture Wood Wood stain Television

Touch up planing messed with the finish already applied, so the finish has had to restart. After its first coat of oil …
Table Wood Creative arts Workbench Floor

... a few more to go.

Next step is to build some trays for it and accessorize. I've no conclusion of what the trays will be made of, how they will look, or how they will be made. For now and until I have a solid idea, I expect I will rip a simple board to sit on the shelf supports to fill in the space.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,329 Posts
top slab completion

1 - tail vise install
2 - plane stop install
3 - final oiling

The tail vise is a rockler 9 inch vise. I described the initial fitting in an earlier blog entry in this series. I delayed installing it until the V-twin vise was installed and fitted because this vise is heavy and I needed to move the top around a bit for for fitting the V-twin.

Its held by 4×3/8 carriage bolts through the top and a 3/8 lag screw in the front, with the iron flush with the end of the bench.

I prepared front and rear chops from a slab of hickory and lined them with black leather.
The rear chop is held by 3x #10 stainless screws. To locate the the screw holes in the vise, I inserted dowel center finders into the holes, put the chop in position, and then pressed them in by closing the vise

My intent was that the back bench top slab would align along the line of the rear chop, but I found this was not possible.

Somewhere, I had miss measured when attaching hold down shims on the under side and these were stopping it from getting into the correct position.

This was better.

My next alignment problem was that the two bench top slabs need to be perfectly parallel with each other so that trays may rest between them and be free to slide from one end of the bench to the other. Additionally, the bench top needs to be flush with the outside of the legs to support vertical clamping. I seemed to be about a 1/16th plus a touch off from something I did somewhere. It was hard to determine exactly where it happened. Maybe when I tied down the front slab for the V-twin… any whoo … all else is fixed in space and gotta make it fit.

a 1/32 taper here

a 1/32 taper there ( a #10 1/2 with a slight lateral skew adjustment is handy to get into the corners )

and all is good

After tie-ing the bench top down with a few carriage bolts, I pulled a veritas plane stop out of a drawer where its been sitting for a long time waiting for a home. Its an oddly shaped thing. I thought it might be a risky chore to get the right mortise fit for it but it ended up being not much more then a chip carving exercise.

With the two bench tops in their final space, I tuned up their inter-leveling and flatness.

Touch up planing messed with the finish already applied, so the finish has had to restart. After its first coat of oil …

... a few more to go.

Next step is to build some trays for it and accessorize. I've no conclusion of what the trays will be made of, how they will look, or how they will be made. For now and until I have a solid idea, I expect I will rip a simple board to sit on the shelf supports to fill in the space.
That looks amazing! There is much to be admired in your design. I can't wait to begin my bench later this spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
top slab completion

1 - tail vise install
2 - plane stop install
3 - final oiling

This was better.

a 1/32 taper here

and all is good

... a few more to go.

Thank you ! - and good luck !

I think this bench will do most of what I have been wanting from it.

~correction~ I cited the rockler vise as a 9 inch → its a 7 inch

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
tool trays

Bob Lang's 21st Century bench was originally made with 4 removable tool trays between the top beams. The trays may be individually removed or flipped over for a solid space. Ive seen build pictures of 3, 4, or 5. I chose to work with 4, each about 23 inches long.

I've noticed that I often place my chisel into the closest open dog hole to hold it; and I get flustered if my current chisel is too wide to fit. For this, I wanted to build a chisel rack into the bench.

The design I ended at is an incorporation of chisel racks into the tool trays where one end would have 3 slots for chisels and the other a very large slot for larger things such as a dovetail saw.

Rectangle Automotive exterior Parallel Metal Diagram

Looking for material, I found that I had just enough cutoffs of 1.5 inch thick ply to make 17 tool tray ends. 16+1 for a mistake. These were glued together then re-cut into rectangles with the ply layers exposed.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Saw Gas

I also acquired some hickory for the side and bottom panels.

Wood Flooring Wood stain Plank Composite material

... milling …

Wood Building Hardwood Engineering Wood stain

... filling ply voids blue … filled some hickory knots too …

Wood Gas Wood stain Natural material Composite material

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Table

... I think it adds interest …

Brown Table Wood Flooring Insect

.. cleaning dados that hold the end pieces …

Wood Rectangle Plank Hardwood Wood stain

Each end piece is custom fit for its place, so they had to be tracked and labeled. In the vise is a 10 1/2 carriage plane that was being used to trim the rebates to size. For the most part, the plywood cutoffs were cutoff because they weren't stable and de-laminating. I had to re-glue these pieces together many times as work progressed. A few edges disintegrated almost entirely.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Composite material Gas

... all cut and labeled …

Wood Hardwood Composite material Gas Wood stain

... a dry run test assembly with the trays inverted …
Table Wood Rectangle Floor Wood stain

From here, I cut dadoes for the chisel holder dividers and prepared some hickory cutoffs for slats.
Wood Hardwood Floor Flooring Lumber

Hickory does expand/contract a lot, yet I feel that I made the bottoms 1/16in too narrow. The gaps are quite noticeable. To keep the floating bottoms centered and the gaps even, I shimmed it center and pinned it with a dowel to the end piece. This was done without gluing the end piece to the sides, because the glue up is a bit complicated for that.

Wood Table Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

... final pieces laid out for assembly …

Wood Wood stain Art Hardwood Flooring

.. and clamp …
Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain Plank

... putting the V-twin to work as I trim protrusions ….

Wood Flooring Floor Table Composite material

... at the drill press I used a router chamfer bit and a 5/8 forstner to add stability to chisel holding …
Wood Automotive tire Milling Drilling Wood stain

... double checking all with touch ups for flat and square …
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Gas Plywood

That picture shows a couple gap spots where the plywood fell apart while being worked. I thought about mixing more blue for filling, but chose to go with a neutral acrylic putty instead.

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Flooring

After sanding, I shellac wash coated the plywood parts so that they will finish more evenly.

This picture show ends like a french movie with all ready for that last scene .. but alas, fin, no climactic finish.
At the rate I've been working these, it might be the end of June before a final coat.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Rectangle Composite material

Attachments

·
Registered
22,923 Posts
tool trays

Bob Lang's 21st Century bench was originally made with 4 removable tool trays between the top beams. The trays may be individually removed or flipped over for a solid space. Ive seen build pictures of 3, 4, or 5. I chose to work with 4, each about 23 inches long.

I've noticed that I often place my chisel into the closest open dog hole to hold it; and I get flustered if my current chisel is too wide to fit. For this, I wanted to build a chisel rack into the bench.

The design I ended at is an incorporation of chisel racks into the tool trays where one end would have 3 slots for chisels and the other a very large slot for larger things such as a dovetail saw.

Looking for material, I found that I had just enough cutoffs of 1.5 inch thick ply to make 17 tool tray ends. 16+1 for a mistake. These were glued together then re-cut into rectangles with the ply layers exposed.

... milling …

Each end piece is custom fit for its place, so they had to be tracked and labeled. In the vise is a 10 1/2 carriage plane that was being used to trim the rebates to size. For the most part, the plywood cutoffs were cutoff because they weren't stable and de-laminating. I had to re-glue these pieces together many times as work progressed. A few edges disintegrated almost entirely.

From here, I cut dadoes for the chisel holder dividers and prepared some hickory cutoffs for slats.

Hickory does expand/contract a lot, yet I feel that I made the bottoms 1/16in too narrow. The gaps are quite noticeable. To keep the floating bottoms centered and the gaps even, I shimmed it center and pinned it with a dowel to the end piece. This was done without gluing the end piece to the sides, because the glue up is a bit complicated for that.

.. and clamp …

... at the drill press I used a router chamfer bit and a 5/8 forstner to add stability to chisel holding …

That picture shows a couple gap spots where the plywood fell apart while being worked. I thought about mixing more blue for filling, but chose to go with a neutral acrylic putty instead.

After sanding, I shellac wash coated the plywood parts so that they will finish more evenly.

This picture show ends like a french movie with all ready for that last scene .. but alas, fin, no climactic finish.
At the rate I've been working these, it might be the end of June before a final coat.

I like the idea here! Something similar would work nicely on my bench :) Just curious why the dividers on the chisel ends instead of making both ends with one long slot? Seems like you could just as easily stick 3 chisels on the other end without any negative consequence? Not that I see any problem with the dividers, it would just be more versatile for me I think if I could put two saws or 6 chisels or whatever depending on what I was doing at the moment…

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
tool trays

... milling …

.. and clamp …

There was a design iteration of two long slots with no dividers. There was even contemplation of 3 or 4 slots, 2 long slots with one divided, and perhaps 2 trays would be normal box trays and the other two would consist of only a variety of slots and holes, etc.

I ended up using dividers on an end because I was concerned about chisels tipping into each other. After construction, I find that the chamfered hole in the slot holds socket and tang chisels upright just fine.

I can imagine a future, wanting an additional long slot might lead me to cutting out the dividers in one of the trays.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
22,923 Posts
tool trays

... milling …

.. and clamp …

Thanks! That's basically what I figured but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something :)

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
dogs and pegged legs

Accessorizing with bench dogs and a bit of miscellaneous is the final entry, #15 in this series. Getting it all done after a long road was almost anti-climatic; but the bench has been finished enough to be used and useful for the past six months; a familiar tool before its completion.

I started bench dogs by getting 6 prairie dogs for the vise chops from Lee Valley, they work really well for the blind holes that would otherwise fill with chips. For the other dogs, I started with some hickory cutoffs trimmed to 12cm and dowel'd them to 3/4 inch.
Wood Gas Hardwood Machine Machine tool

I came out of that with 10 about perfect ; 2 others were so-so but good enough.
Wood Wood stain Floor Composite material Plank

I cut the dog faces 1/3 towards the center and made them 3cm tall on a 2 deg forward slant.

Here, the each of the faces are being tuned for true.
Rectangle Wood Wood stain Office ruler Plank

I was pretty serious about making wire springs for these, but I uncertain with the gauge and springiness of what I could find. I ended up going to the route of 7mm ball catches . These were installed with a 7/64 (6.8mm) diameter hole and a 3/8 shallow inset.

Here, I double-stuck a wood shim on my press-vise to provide a quick guide to set the ball catch inline with the dog face.

Wood Engineering Flooring Gas Hardwood

The 3/8 inset provides flat registry for the lip of the ball catches.
Wood Tool Bumper Gas Metalworking hand tool

To insert the catches I made a magnetic contraption with 1/4 bar and some washers to hold the ball catches. Then the drill press was used to insert like a reloader. I won't take credit for the idea of using a drill press to press these in, concept came from benchblog.com.

Wood Office supplies Font Electric blue Metal

The magnetic hold is a nice additional touch as opposed to trying to hold the catch straight with fingers or a needle nose during the initial press.

Wood Machine tool Milling Gas Machine

I also wanted a peg on the leg to keep the bench brush nearby. I shopped briefly for a supplier with hickory shaker pegs on the market, but found none, just maple, oak, birch and "hardwood" (poplar?). I wanted hickory because this bench otherwise consists of only plywood and hickory.

A bit of research got my interest in a traditional wine-bottle shape. I haven't seen these in wood parts bins before. Perhaps because it would require an additional pair of knives in the production lathe.

What I believe to be close to true to wine-bottle shape.
Parallel Plastic bottle Rectangle Water Pattern

After sketching this out and double-sticking it to some hardboard for a template, I got back to the lathe.

Automotive tire Gas Engineering Auto part Wood

Wood Sculpture Human leg Hardwood Art

Automotive tire Gas Engineering Cylinder Automotive wheel system

Finished only with wax; 3 pegs for 3 legs. The leg by the V-twin won't get a peg, that would just be hiding it.

Tableware Wood Table Cup Floor

To get a tight fit, I wedged the peg tenon and hammered it home with a little glue.

Wood Wood stain Flooring Hardwood Plank

Wood Floor Hardwood Gas Wood stain

... a brush's new home …

Wood Automotive tire Gas Bumper Machine

Back to the dogs, one of these dogs got the short end of the stick. It had to be truncated to stay out of the way of the end-vise hardware on the underside of the bench.

Table Wood Wood stain Hardwood Rectangle

I turned two large headed bench dogs. I will call them fist-dogs. I intended they may have purpose on the end-vise's side dog hole. The prairie dogs only pop up 3/8 inch, so maybe these could be useful on the top of the bench sometime. The prairie dogs simply pull out if you need them to be. Meanwhile, they will likely live on the side of the bench or lie about in a tool tray.

Table Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood

Not much more to say.

Table Wood Picture frame Wood stain Plank

Table Furniture Plant Outdoor table Chair

That's about all for this bench blog series now.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
dogs and pegged legs

Accessorizing with bench dogs and a bit of miscellaneous is the final entry, #15 in this series. Getting it all done after a long road was almost anti-climatic; but the bench has been finished enough to be used and useful for the past six months; a familiar tool before its completion.

I started bench dogs by getting 6 prairie dogs for the vise chops from Lee Valley, they work really well for the blind holes that would otherwise fill with chips. For the other dogs, I started with some hickory cutoffs trimmed to 12cm and dowel'd them to 3/4 inch.
Wood Gas Hardwood Machine Machine tool

I came out of that with 10 about perfect ; 2 others were so-so but good enough.
Wood Wood stain Floor Composite material Plank

I cut the dog faces 1/3 towards the center and made them 3cm tall on a 2 deg forward slant.

Here, the each of the faces are being tuned for true.
Rectangle Wood Wood stain Office ruler Plank

I was pretty serious about making wire springs for these, but I uncertain with the gauge and springiness of what I could find. I ended up going to the route of 7mm ball catches . These were installed with a 7/64 (6.8mm) diameter hole and a 3/8 shallow inset.

Here, I double-stuck a wood shim on my press-vise to provide a quick guide to set the ball catch inline with the dog face.

Wood Engineering Flooring Gas Hardwood

The 3/8 inset provides flat registry for the lip of the ball catches.
Wood Tool Bumper Gas Metalworking hand tool

To insert the catches I made a magnetic contraption with 1/4 bar and some washers to hold the ball catches. Then the drill press was used to insert like a reloader. I won't take credit for the idea of using a drill press to press these in, concept came from benchblog.com.

Wood Office supplies Font Electric blue Metal

The magnetic hold is a nice additional touch as opposed to trying to hold the catch straight with fingers or a needle nose during the initial press.

Wood Machine tool Milling Gas Machine

I also wanted a peg on the leg to keep the bench brush nearby. I shopped briefly for a supplier with hickory shaker pegs on the market, but found none, just maple, oak, birch and "hardwood" (poplar?). I wanted hickory because this bench otherwise consists of only plywood and hickory.

A bit of research got my interest in a traditional wine-bottle shape. I haven't seen these in wood parts bins before. Perhaps because it would require an additional pair of knives in the production lathe.

What I believe to be close to true to wine-bottle shape.
Parallel Plastic bottle Rectangle Water Pattern

After sketching this out and double-sticking it to some hardboard for a template, I got back to the lathe.

Automotive tire Gas Engineering Auto part Wood

Wood Sculpture Human leg Hardwood Art

Automotive tire Gas Engineering Cylinder Automotive wheel system

Finished only with wax; 3 pegs for 3 legs. The leg by the V-twin won't get a peg, that would just be hiding it.

Tableware Wood Table Cup Floor

To get a tight fit, I wedged the peg tenon and hammered it home with a little glue.

Wood Wood stain Flooring Hardwood Plank

Wood Floor Hardwood Gas Wood stain

... a brush's new home …

Wood Automotive tire Gas Bumper Machine

Back to the dogs, one of these dogs got the short end of the stick. It had to be truncated to stay out of the way of the end-vise hardware on the underside of the bench.

Table Wood Wood stain Hardwood Rectangle

I turned two large headed bench dogs. I will call them fist-dogs. I intended they may have purpose on the end-vise's side dog hole. The prairie dogs only pop up 3/8 inch, so maybe these could be useful on the top of the bench sometime. The prairie dogs simply pull out if you need them to be. Meanwhile, they will likely live on the side of the bench or lie about in a tool tray.

Table Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood

Not much more to say.

Table Wood Picture frame Wood stain Plank

Table Furniture Plant Outdoor table Chair

That's about all for this bench blog series now.
Pictures of better resolution are on the project completion posting:
https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/420025

Attachments

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.