LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
making the leg assemblies

This is an eight drawer dresser from a Wood magazine plan. It is in their maple and cherry bedroom set. Pretty basic with a cabinet carcass box glued and screwed to two end assemblies. I am going to make mine out of white oak and stain it to match a bed.

I started with the legs, which are laminated:

Here is the template:

Gluing up the legs:

Showing off the thin kerf freud blade. It really helps these contractor saws cut through thick stock and is my substitute for a jointer.

Cutting the legs to size:

Setting the fence for the narrow part of the legs and cutting to the curve (the white stuff is chalk):

Finishing with a hand saw:

Cut the curves on the bandsaw and sand:

Using the cut offs from the legs to glue up some molding so it looks rift sawn:

Cut some rectangles and glue and biscuit on the legs and moldings:

13,555 Posts

This is an eight drawer dresser from a Wood magazine plan. It is in their maple and cherry bedroom set. Pretty basic with a cabinet carcass box glued and screwed to two end assemblies. I am going to make mine out of white oak and stain it to match a bed.

Here is the template:

Gluing up the legs:

Showing off the thin kerf freud blade. It really helps these contractor saws cut through thick stock and is my substitute for a jointer.

Setting the fence for the narrow part of the legs and cutting to the curve (the white stuff is chalk):

Good start!

·
Registered
639 Posts

Here is the template:

Gluing up the legs:

sweet..keep us posted

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rough cutting carcass parts, applying hardwood edging and trimming

Not too much to report. Cut the carcass parts to width and add hardwood edging. Did try something new to trim the hardwood edging using the router table and a high fence.

First biscuit and glue on the edging:

At first I planed the edging flush but had a little bit of tear out. Luckily these are all carcass parts for a dresser so no one really sees them unless they take a drawer out and inspect:

Many of these parts have 1 1/2" edging which can be a little hard for me to plane. So I decided to use my router table with a high fence and a 2 inch long 1/2 bit. Here are some shots of the router table (with the standard low fence), which fits in the table saw. I just cut inserts to match the bit being used. It's a mix of Norm's deluxe router table and a Gary Rogowski FWW idea:

This is the high fence with the t slot cut.

Then I add some shims with double sided tape to the high fence and line the bit up with the shims and add a featherboard:

And I end up with some tear-out free plywood with edging. If anyone has better or safe methods of trimming 1 1/2" edging I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks for looking:

13,555 Posts
rough cutting carcass parts, applying hardwood edging and trimming

Not too much to report. Cut the carcass parts to width and add hardwood edging. Did try something new to trim the hardwood edging using the router table and a high fence.

First biscuit and glue on the edging:

At first I planed the edging flush but had a little bit of tear out. Luckily these are all carcass parts for a dresser so no one really sees them unless they take a drawer out and inspect:

Many of these parts have 1 1/2" edging which can be a little hard for me to plane. So I decided to use my router table with a high fence and a 2 inch long 1/2 bit. Here are some shots of the router table (with the standard low fence), which fits in the table saw. I just cut inserts to match the bit being used. It's a mix of Norm's deluxe router table and a Gary Rogowski FWW idea:

This is the high fence with the t slot cut.

Then I add some shims with double sided tape to the high fence and line the bit up with the shims and add a featherboard:

And I end up with some tear-out free plywood with edging. If anyone has better or safe methods of trimming 1 1/2" edging I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks for looking:

The dresser is looking good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
57 biscuit slots later, carcase done

After several long nights and longer days because of long nights and 57 biscuit slots, the carcase is done. Now for the top, finish sanding, finish, and then glue-up. Then on to making a bunch of drawers. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Making the top, stain and finish carcass parts, begin assembly

Been out of the shop for a while working at my day job but I have made some progress.

Took a nice piece of left over plywood for the top, added some hardwood edging to the back and mitered three sides:

Laid two coats of general finishes black cherry water based stain, covered it with 1/2 sealcoat 1/2 denatured alcohol mix then two coats gloss poly then one coat satin poly (bought an earlex 5000 spray finisher halfway through which helped speed things up)

Brought the top indoors for safe keeping

Began assembly:

Might finish assembly tomorrow and then head back to the lumber shop for 1/2 Russian birch ply for the drawers.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Been out of the shop for a while working at my day job but I have made some progress.

Took a nice piece of left over plywood for the top, added some hardwood edging to the back and mitered three sides:

Laid two coats of general finishes black cherry water based stain, covered it with 1/2 sealcoat 1/2 denatured alcohol mix then two coats gloss poly then one coat satin poly (bought an earlex 5000 spray finisher halfway through which helped speed things up)

Began assembly:

Might finish assembly tomorrow and then head back to the lumber shop for 1/2 Russian birch ply for the drawers.
This project is going great, you're in the home strech. I just looked through your past posts and you are making great progress. Congrats on the Earlex.

13,555 Posts

Began assembly:

Looks good!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
making drawers, adding hardware, attaching drawerfronts, and attaching sides

Finally wrapped up this project.

Here is the 1/2" russian birch for the drawers:

Here it is sliced up and then trimmed to size and grooved:

Here are the drawers completed (rabbit and staples) and mounted on the hardware:

The dresser has plywood drawerfronts with edgebanding. Here is the edgeband trimmer:

Drawerfronts finished and mounted:

Spraying the wooden knobs:

Knobs mounted:

Mounting the sides (glued and screwed):

Sides mounted (my 3 foot tall son took this picture, that's why it is so low:

All done and in place:

13,555 Posts

Here are the drawers completed (rabbit and staples) and mounted on the hardware:

The dresser has plywood drawerfronts with edgebanding. Here is the edgeband trimmer:

Knobs mounted:

All done and in place:

Looks good!

·
Registered
639 Posts

Knobs mounted:

All done and in place:

great idea for a trimmer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.