LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts

Been trying to identify this wood but can't seem to pinpoint it. It'seems as heavy and dense as can be. Looks like the lighter ( worm eaten) areas are some kind of outer bark. Definitely heartwood of some sort. Very difficult to work with, but after a little elbow grease and some dulled blades, this!!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Beautiful wood- it would help if you'd tell us where you got it. It looks like walnut, but at the same time it doesn't, and "very difficult to work with" doesn't generally jibe with walnut.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Looks like black walnut. Grain looks correct, and I've worked with some that's had the same sort of streaks (black, blue, purple).

Black walnut isn't necessarily difficult to work with, but it can be quite a pain when it comes to tearout.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
It's definitely walnut. I've got some just like it in my shop. It's not steamed. Black walnut that has been steamed loses the color variations seen in your photo.

·
Registered
973 Posts
At first glance it looks like walnut. But the characteristic don't sound like walnut, at least to me. I've never thought of walnut as 'hard to work' or particularly heavy or dense compared to other hardwoods. Nor have I noticed it dulling my tools anymore than anything else. All I can say with any certainty is that it's a pretty piece of wood.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.