LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Never ever heard of this. Looks like woodworking meets air hockey. Also looks like you lose some depth of cut with the air attachment but the depth loss might be insignificant.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Hmmm … could be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but to me it looks like a solution in search of a problem.

·
Banned
808 Posts
True that Mike and Gerry!

I would use it more for doing bigger profiles such as a desk edge or something. Another thing for me that I would find it useful for would be when I do metal laminate. the shavings always want to get under the base and scratch the surface. I think this would eliminate that.
Example of a drawer base unit I just made:
Wood Rectangle Shelf Wood stain Gas

Wood Wood stain Tints and shades Hardwood Glass

Attachments

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Looks more like a means of blowing the chips away …
You are probably right. IMHO, it would be better to come up with a more efficient dust/chip extraction system like those used on Festool routers. I have a DeWalt DWP611PK and the dust extraction attachments for it (both the plunge and fixed bases) are [email protected]$$. There is an after-market dust extractor for the bigger routers (the brand name escapes me) that looks like a decent solution but it does take away some of the maximum depth (just like this attachment does).

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
on edge routing
you would get slightly less than half airflow with it
(the rest just blowing out)
with plenty of air
it sounds ok

made it this far with the old ways
probably not all that important for me now

·
Registered
7,089 Posts

·
Registered
11,866 Posts
The air base may help prevent scratching of plastic
surfaces. My thought was that when routing or sawing
plastic it goes all over the place, sometimes as fluff,
sometimes as variants or partially melted curls. It
doesn't all go down with gravity the way wood chips
tend to.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Looks like this wouldn't be very popular, maybe falls into the over tooled category?
(what I call convenience tools)

I agree with AlaskaGuy, probably not worth it to the average hobbyists that are here.

I still think for routing metal, or plastic as Loren mentions, it would be worth having. It wouldn't be one of those tools you use all the time, but if it keeps you from scratching a pc of metal aluminum @ 150.00 per sheet then it pays for itself in the long run. I do my fair share of metal laminating (chemetal and such).
Right now I have to hold the router with one hand and the air hose to blow the metal chips away in the other.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.