LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cutting the pieces

See the finished dulcimer here. [link]

As a reference, I'm using the basic dimensions and instructions from the book: Making Folk Instruments in Wood by Dennis Miles Waring. The only place that I believe I'll be straying from his methods is that I'll be using home-crafted tuning pegs instead of guitar tuning machines. (Yes, there is a reason for that.)

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Plank

Wood Composite material Rectangle Hardwood Drawer

[Above] The top and sides are supposed to be made of hardwood. he only hardwood I have in quantity is the mahogany I got from the church pew a while ago. Since I need wood that is about 1/8+ inch thick, I'm re-sawing a board of the appropriate length in half. These will be edge glued for the back. Incidentally, this is the first time I've had a reason to use a featherboard. I made the featherboard right after I bought the saw.

Wood Composite material Road surface Gas Flooring

Wood Gas Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

[Above] It's safest when re-sawing on the table saw to cut most of the way through, then finish the cut with a hand saw. I planed the ridge off of these by hand although most of these pieces will be run through the planer anyway for thicknessing.

Wood Yellow Art Composite material Engineering

[Above] Here is the back panel glued up to create the needed width.

Wood Hardwood Plank Lumber Wood stain

[Above] Here are all the basic pieces cut and ready to be planed, cut, shaped, etc. These include the bottom, sides end blocks and finger board from mahogany. The top is supposed to be made of softwood. I have a piece of ?? that I salvaged from a drawer for that. The only thing missing is a brace and the tuning pegs. This is as far as I got.

Watch for the next installment! Same Dave time, Same Dave channel!

(Great. I see I need to figure out how to say 'featherboard' in Esperanto)

EDIT: And the answer is: premdentaro

Attachments

· Registered
188 Posts
Cutting the pieces

As a reference, I'm using the basic dimensions and instructions from the book: Making Folk Instruments in Wood by Dennis Miles Waring. The only place that I believe I'll be straying from his methods is that I'll be using home-crafted tuning pegs instead of guitar tuning machines. (Yes, there is a reason for that.)

[Above] The top and sides are supposed to be made of hardwood. he only hardwood I have in quantity is the mahogany I got from the church pew a while ago. Since I need wood that is about 1/8+ inch thick, I'm re-sawing a board of the appropriate length in half. These will be edge glued for the back. Incidentally, this is the first time I've had a reason to use a featherboard. I made the featherboard right after I bought the saw.

[Above] It's safest when re-sawing on the table saw to cut most of the way through, then finish the cut with a hand saw. I planed the ridge off of these by hand although most of these pieces will be run through the planer anyway for thicknessing.

[Above] Here are all the basic pieces cut and ready to be planed, cut, shaped, etc. These include the bottom, sides end blocks and finger board from mahogany. The top is supposed to be made of softwood. I have a piece of ?? that I salvaged from a drawer for that. The only thing missing is a brace and the tuning pegs. This is as far as I got.

I'm in.

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cutting the pieces

I m in.

- nomercadies
Welcome aboard. When I used to write about model railroading projects I used to preface them with 'WARNING: The following dissertation contains modeling methods which may be appalling.' Sometimes I feel like that when I do woodworking. It usually turns out all right though.

Attachments

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Cutting the pieces

Oh I guess the invisible man is in also too…and already hard at work for you again!

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cutting the pieces

Oh I guess the invisible man is in also too…and already hard at work for you again!

- robscastle
Yes, I refuse to get a selfie pole.

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Planing and Some Fitting

Wood Plant Grass Gas Machine

[Above] Here I am planing the pieces down to thickness, top, bottom, sides, and fingerboard. This was the nicest day of the week, so I was able to do this outside.

Wood Tints and shades Flooring Gas Machine

[Above] Finally making the brace for the inside of the instrument. It's just a piece of pine. The circular cut outs are to allow sound and air through from one part of the dulcimer to the other. The band saw and I actually got along pretty well on this part.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Machine Plywood

[Above] Here you can see the sides dry fit into the end blocks with the brace stuck in between the sides. You can see the basic shape of the thing at this point.

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Office ruler Flooring

Brown Wood Amber Flooring Floor

[Above] A closer look at the end block and brace.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have during the next few days for this. I'm serving in a funeral at our church today and then the wife and kid will be home for Teacher's Convention. I work better in an empty house. We'll see.

Attachments

· Registered
188 Posts
Planing and Some Fitting

[Above] Here I am planing the pieces down to thickness, top, bottom, sides, and fingerboard. This was the nicest day of the week, so I was able to do this outside.

[Above] Finally making the brace for the inside of the instrument. It's just a piece of pine. The circular cut outs are to allow sound and air through from one part of the dulcimer to the other. The band saw and I actually got along pretty well on this part.

[Above] Here you can see the sides dry fit into the end blocks with the brace stuck in between the sides. You can see the basic shape of the thing at this point.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have during the next few days for this. I'm serving in a funeral at our church today and then the wife and kid will be home for Teacher's Convention. I work better in an empty house. We'll see.
Some day, there'll be a movie made of this.

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Planing and Some Fitting

Some day, there ll be a movie made of this.

- nomercadies
Peter Jackson just contacted me. He's planning a trilogy of movies based on this series.

Attachments

· Registered
188 Posts
Planing and Some Fitting

I'd like to put my name in right now to audition for the role of "Sawdust" in the prequel.

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Planing and Some Fitting

I d like to put my name in right now to audition for the role of "Sawdust" in the prequel.

- nomercadies
You're up against Mustache Mike for the role.

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Planing and Some Fitting

I just added a few more photos above.

Attachments

· Premium Member
20,729 Posts
Planing and Some Fitting

This is neat Dave. Im no musician but id like to make a guitar someday.

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Planing and Some Fitting

This is neat Dave. Im no musician but id like to make a guitar someday.

- firefighterontheside
More power to ya! For me, a standard guitar would be too intense, but I've had thoughts about a cigar box guitar, banjo, and fiddle someday.

Attachments

· Premium Member
8,020 Posts
Planing and Some Fitting

Fascinating to watch this being built. You make it look 'do-able', Dave!

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Planing and Some Fitting

Fascinating to watch this being built. You make it look do-able , Dave!

- CFrye
The hardest part is the fret board. If necessary, believe a fret board can be purchased and you'd only have to make the box.

Attachments

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Planing and Some Fitting

Looking good I should introduce you to my plywood stash, its possibly something that may interest you Dave.

Wood Roof Hardwood Shade Composite material

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Planing and Some Fitting

Send it over on the next ship heading to New Jersey.

I think I have a few drawer bottoms that I can use to make the case for this dulcimer. They're too big to fit in my storage space.

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Need more Clamps!

Table Wood Floor Workbench Wood stain

[Above] Next I traced the sides/end block assembly onto the mahogany back piece. Then I attached that to the ?? wood front piece and cut them out on the band saw, keeping outside the traced line. I'll neaten this up later with a flush trim bit on the router.

Wood Table Machine Workbench Hardwood

[Above] The band saw yielded the front and back.

Wood Engineering Machine Shelf Toolroom

[Above] Next step was to glue the side assembly together and onto the back piece. The instructions I'm following actually said to glue the end blocks and the center brace onto the wood first and then to glue the sides. (???) This made zero sense to me, so I just glued everything together in one go. Looks good.

Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Hand tool Workbench

[Above and below] I had 14 spool clamps already from a previous project, but I discovered that I need about 10 more to properly clamp together a project like a dulcimer. I made do this time with other clamps, but I'll be gathering the supplies needed for more spool clamps. Notice I managed to use my one deep-throat shop-made C-clamp!

Wood Tool Gas Machine tool Engineering

Attachments

· Premium Member
8,020 Posts
Need more Clamps!

[Above] Next I traced the sides/end block assembly onto the mahogany back piece. Then I attached that to the ?? wood front piece and cut them out on the band saw, keeping outside the traced line. I'll neaten this up later with a flush trim bit on the router.

[Above] Next step was to glue the side assembly together and onto the back piece. The instructions I'm following actually said to glue the end blocks and the center brace onto the wood first and then to glue the sides. (???) This made zero sense to me, so I just glued everything together in one go. Looks good.

[Above and below] I had 14 spool clamps already from a previous project, but I discovered that I need about 10 more to properly clamp together a project like a dulcimer. I made do this time with other clamps, but I'll be gathering the supplies needed for more spool clamps. Notice I managed to use my one deep-throat shop-made C-clamp!

Those spool clamps look mighty handy, Dave, AND easy to make! Are they as easy as they look?

Attachments

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Need more Clamps!

Those spool clamps look mighty handy, Dave, AND easy to make! Are they as easy as they look?

- CFrye
Easy depends on what you have on hand. You only need machine screws, fender washers, wing nuts, and a large diameter dowel, something like a wood curtain pole. Then it's just a matter of slicing and drilling. Felt or leather pads can be added if you want to use them to repair antique instruments. Cork pads would work as well. Mine are bareback.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.