round II, in review
So I had a little company this go round, (Thanks Darryl and Russel!) I hope a few more join the next attempt in November (It's a great way to stock up on some Christmas presents!
Had a good time, made some new things I'd never tried before (which, essentially is the entire point of this creative challenge), and with the past 40 or so days of rain we had, I certainly wasn't missing out on any time in the garden or at the beach.
To that end, I have to say this time was a lot easier, even considering an unexpected week away for work. I entered this month with a bunch of pens prepped, but not as many as I had last November, and ultimately I didn't use all of them. I think I have 4 or 5 ready and waiting.
I said I was only going to try to get 30 projects done, or rather attempted. If one failed, then it was a learning experience, and not a punishment to then have to make something else…. I had few failures, and in the end, I just went ahead and made more projects just the same.
I set aside one cocobolo blank - that was more purple stripes than the cocoa browns it should have turned to, but given a few days to rest, the color is evening out. Like a fine wine or cheese, some pens just need to age too. If it's looking good when I pick up another pen kit, all I'll have to do is assemble that one.
I also have a third attempt at an Osage Orange Root pen, and as with the other two times last Nov., at one point or another in the process, the blank cracked.
The first cracked during assembly due to glue residue that wouldn't clear out of the tube. (lesson learned, don't use Gorilla glue (with rubber in it) for pen blanks - great for other stuff, but not for getting in (and out of) pen tubes. Twas pretty otherwise, so it became a good pen to keep in my work coat. After a year, the crack worsened. The second cracked when drilling, and ultimately became the Blood Orange Platinum Cigar. Lots or repair techniques learned and applied this go round.
This time I had no trouble with the drilling, but with the squaring up…. I turned them down, and pared off the bad part. - couldn't fix with CA, no worries I know what to do. If only I could choose what to pair it with.
I also have a few ring blanks ready to turn. Mostly matching the glue ups of rings I've already turned. I didn't see the point to turn two rings of the same combination of woods. But if I get a request for another size I'm all set.
I also have the bracelet portion of the bowl I turned for the last project. I had more fun turning that little bowl than I would have with all the sanding to finish the bracelet… so I set the rough bracelet aside and finished the bowl.
The first week, and a little bit before hand, I had fun looking through magazines, and online for a few project ideas. I have a few print outs and articles bookmarked for a bunch of things I never quite got around to making (or finishing).
I find It funny that after knocking off so many projects, between things that need fixing, things I've started, and holdovers from before this adventure, I have nearly another weeks worth in the works, if not close to done.
After last Novembers challenge, I knocked off a few Christmas projects, but otherwise took a bit of a break (to get the shop in order) and starting in Jan, I decided to challenge myself with a project a week. Anything - a shop project, boxes, turnings, jigs, anything.
Come the middle of Feb I was still on track to do actually maintain that schedule, but our attentions turned towards looking into selling the house, and things had to get put on the back burner. Of course, I got a few kitchen things done, and really improved my shop storage… but the 52 in 52 idea was lost. As of now, it looks like I might have actually caught up, if not even moreso!
I hope you've had as much fun keeping up with our projects this month as we've had making them (if I may speak for Darryl and Russell). And if anyone wants to give it a shot come November, I'll be throwing my hat in the ring for a three-peat.
And if you don't wanna wait, September hath 30 days as well… but I'll be sitting that month out. Twice a year seems about right for me. I'll be happy to watch and cheer you on though!
A look at the last weeks worth:
The final tally: 32 projects!
14 pens, 8 rings, 2 bracelets, 1 napkin ring, 3 stoppers, 1 foot massager
3 bowls, a garden waterer/composter, and one secret geocaching project.
...with nine days to go.