LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction

First off let me start by introducing myself. My name is John Gray, i'm currently 33 years old and live in Spencerport New York. I've been married to the love of my life for 7 years now and have 2 beautiful daughters (hence the title of my blog "3 girls and a woodworker"). I guess i've been into wood working for most of my life, i grew up with a dad that spent a lot of time in the workshop building things. He worked primarily with pine (becasue it was cheap) and made some wonderfull things. He was a handi-man and could fix anything one way or another. Growing up i can remember spending time in the shop with him, or even by myself, just playing with tools, learning how to use them…and just banging nails….
After high school i went into building houses. Barley making it thru high school i dind't have alot of options….but i knew my entire life i wanted to be a carpenter, so i gave it a shot. I LOVED building houses, but after a year at it and going thru a NE winter i was starting to "wake-up" and realize that i wasn't going to do this for the rest of my life….. Community College was my only choice, so i went to Finger Lake Community College for Architecture. I wanted to stay in the field or carpentry/building somehow… Fast forward 13 years a few jobs later and i'm currently an architect here in upstate NY.
When my wife and i bought our first house i knew i had to have a shop. My first house was pretty small, my head literally graced the bottoms of the floor joists in the basement as i walked around, and i had to duck under all the ductwork. BUT i began the beginning of my shop. It seemed like every chance i got i was buying tools. At the time my wife worked at Sears and therfore i got really great deals on tools. I was very happy with the "craftsman professional" line of tools. as my tool colection grew so did my need to find projects….. I was in that house for 7 years. I put 16'x16' deck on it and instaleed a 7' slider on the back wall of the house. I re-roofed the entire house with a crew of friends and did endless upgrades to the house. After 7 years and 2 daughters my oldest was about to begin kindergarten and we wanted her in a better school district so it was time to move….
My current house out in Spencerport NY is…..lets called it an empty dirty rough canvas..lol..it has endless possibilities. And this time i got a real shop. 3/4 of a basement that is roughly 20'x20'. I've began building my new shop (pix will come).
So what do i plan to do with this blog….well i've never had a blog, but i'm always taking step by step pictures of every project i do. I LOVE this site and all the other LJ projects on here. I hope to share with all of you my woodworking adventures. I'd love some C&C back…..and i'm always looking for opinions on my work and ways to better it. I hope by sharing all this with you and having all of you respond my quality of work will escalate.
Well i think that's enough rambeling for one day…..next is to start getting some projects posted that i've already built over the years and start posting some current ones as well. I look forward to hearing from all of you…..

A Fellow Lumberjock,
John Gray

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Introduction

First off let me start by introducing myself. My name is John Gray, i'm currently 33 years old and live in Spencerport New York. I've been married to the love of my life for 7 years now and have 2 beautiful daughters (hence the title of my blog "3 girls and a woodworker"). I guess i've been into wood working for most of my life, i grew up with a dad that spent a lot of time in the workshop building things. He worked primarily with pine (becasue it was cheap) and made some wonderfull things. He was a handi-man and could fix anything one way or another. Growing up i can remember spending time in the shop with him, or even by myself, just playing with tools, learning how to use them…and just banging nails….
After high school i went into building houses. Barley making it thru high school i dind't have alot of options….but i knew my entire life i wanted to be a carpenter, so i gave it a shot. I LOVED building houses, but after a year at it and going thru a NE winter i was starting to "wake-up" and realize that i wasn't going to do this for the rest of my life….. Community College was my only choice, so i went to Finger Lake Community College for Architecture. I wanted to stay in the field or carpentry/building somehow… Fast forward 13 years a few jobs later and i'm currently an architect here in upstate NY.
When my wife and i bought our first house i knew i had to have a shop. My first house was pretty small, my head literally graced the bottoms of the floor joists in the basement as i walked around, and i had to duck under all the ductwork. BUT i began the beginning of my shop. It seemed like every chance i got i was buying tools. At the time my wife worked at Sears and therfore i got really great deals on tools. I was very happy with the "craftsman professional" line of tools. as my tool colection grew so did my need to find projects….. I was in that house for 7 years. I put 16'x16' deck on it and instaleed a 7' slider on the back wall of the house. I re-roofed the entire house with a crew of friends and did endless upgrades to the house. After 7 years and 2 daughters my oldest was about to begin kindergarten and we wanted her in a better school district so it was time to move….
My current house out in Spencerport NY is…..lets called it an empty dirty rough canvas..lol..it has endless possibilities. And this time i got a real shop. 3/4 of a basement that is roughly 20'x20'. I've began building my new shop (pix will come).
So what do i plan to do with this blog….well i've never had a blog, but i'm always taking step by step pictures of every project i do. I LOVE this site and all the other LJ projects on here. I hope to share with all of you my woodworking adventures. I'd love some C&C back…..and i'm always looking for opinions on my work and ways to better it. I hope by sharing all this with you and having all of you respond my quality of work will escalate.
Well i think that's enough rambeling for one day…..next is to start getting some projects posted that i've already built over the years and start posting some current ones as well. I look forward to hearing from all of you…..

A Fellow Lumberjock,
John Gray
Welcome John, I'm also in the 14559-ye olde Town Pump area. Welcome to Lumberjocks and perhaps our paths will cross at some point

·
Registered
604 Posts
Introduction

A Fellow Lumberjock,
John Gray
Welcome John! However, may I say that paragraphs make your writing much more readable.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Introduction

A Fellow Lumberjock,
John Gray
Hey, welcome from another woodworker with 3 girls!

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Introduction

A Fellow Lumberjock,
John Gray
Thanks for the intro, John. Let me add my welcome as well.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Introduction

A Fellow Lumberjock,
John Gray
Welcome to LJ's
Glad you're finally getting a real shop
Looking forward to seeing some good projects

·
Registered
150 Posts
Introduction

A Fellow Lumberjock,
John Gray
May it be a growing and enriching experience for you….ever widening.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Introduction

A Fellow Lumberjock,
John Gray
Welcome John and thanks for the delightful back story. I feel like I know you a bit. I'm looking forward to shop pics. I think you are going to be a great addition to the group!
Vicki

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shed Doors

Well i was given the task of creating new shed doors for my daughter cooperitive nursery school. There budget was "zero", lol. SO i made it all out of scraps i had laying around from when i built my deck a few years back. And ofcourse being a fellow LJ i couldn't just make plain old boring doors now could it…..lol…..

Plant Flower Leaf Paint Brick

-This was the original door…..

Wood Workbench Engineering Gas Machine tool

-Here was all my rough stock, a ton of PT lumber laying around in the loft of my garage…..

Wood Table Wood stain Hardwood Flooring

-All my stock cut down to size for the rails and stiles

Wood Floor Flooring Automotive tire Composite material

-Next was to route rabbits on all the pieces, the sides were standard the tops like this were extra deep… WHY you may ask….

Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Tints and shades Hardwood

-In order to cut arches in the top….and still have anough room for a sheet or plywood to sit in that rabbit….

Automotive parking light Automotive tire Wood Fender Hood

-Time to add biscuts to all the corners…...

Wood Gas Engineering Machine Electrical wiring

-Frame all put together….not to shabby lookin….the PT actually wasn't all that bad to work with either. I was a bit nervous routing it and stuff with it being such a soft and wide grained…..

Wood Floor Wood stain Hardwood Natural material

-After putting in the plywood back panel i decided to add a cross member as well….i think i was going for that "barn door" look at this time…

Wood Gas Hardwood Metal Machine

-Then i thought i'd make some letters for the school name to put at the bottom of the doors. The school, Irondequoit Cooperitive Nursery School or ICNS as it's known…..

Wood Gas Rectangle Flooring Composite material

-Sand them up and clean up the cuts….

Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle

-And there we have it ICNS, i believe they were 3/4 sanded plywood, again from scraps i had laying around…..

Wood Art Gas Flooring Artist

-Once they were glued and nailed from behind to the doors it was time to get some paint on them. Thought i would recruit some help from the ICNS student (ie my daughter)....

Product Wood Gas Fixture Audio equipment

-Here they are all painted up (and up-side-down).....

Wood Fixture Gas Rectangle Font

And heres the final shot, all hung. I decided to paint the letters a different color as well. It's been a cpl years now and the doors are still doing great, i'm guessing they'll outlive the shed….lol. This was a great project, a little something to leave my mark at a great school…....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Shed Doors

Well i was given the task of creating new shed doors for my daughter cooperitive nursery school. There budget was "zero", lol. SO i made it all out of scraps i had laying around from when i built my deck a few years back. And ofcourse being a fellow LJ i couldn't just make plain old boring doors now could it…..lol…..

-Here was all my rough stock, a ton of PT lumber laying around in the loft of my garage…..

-Next was to route rabbits on all the pieces, the sides were standard the tops like this were extra deep… WHY you may ask….

-In order to cut arches in the top….and still have anough room for a sheet or plywood to sit in that rabbit….

-Frame all put together….not to shabby lookin….the PT actually wasn't all that bad to work with either. I was a bit nervous routing it and stuff with it being such a soft and wide grained…..

-After putting in the plywood back panel i decided to add a cross member as well….i think i was going for that "barn door" look at this time…

-Then i thought i'd make some letters for the school name to put at the bottom of the doors. The school, Irondequoit Cooperitive Nursery School or ICNS as it's known…..

-And there we have it ICNS, i believe they were 3/4 sanded plywood, again from scraps i had laying around…..

-Once they were glued and nailed from behind to the doors it was time to get some paint on them. Thought i would recruit some help from the ICNS student (ie my daughter)....

And heres the final shot, all hung. I decided to paint the letters a different color as well. It's been a cpl years now and the doors are still doing great, i'm guessing they'll outlive the shed….lol. This was a great project, a little something to leave my mark at a great school…....
Nice job! Cute helper! Reminds me of my little helper!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Shed Doors

Great job, its so much fun working with kids.

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Shed Doors

It's always nice to make it better than it was!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Shed Doors

Those are really nice doors. I love that you took the extra time to "dress them up" with the arches and initials. That's a real classy treatment for a mere shed. ;o)

Attachments

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Shed Doors

nice job.. great blog and wonderful assistant :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Shed Doors

First, let me say Welcome to Lumberjocks and apologize for the belated welcome. New members are coming on board to fast for me to keep up. lol
It is obvious that you are a Lumberjock with the great build on the doors. And a great dad, getting the girls involved. We have some, if not the best woodworking ladies on here, too; so your girls will fit right in.
BTW, your scrap lumber is prime where I live. lol Rand

Attachments

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Shed Doors

Well done! Great blog and great photos!

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Project Budgets - Is it about your wallet or your location

I've been a LJ now for awhile, and even before i joined i was constantly on the site looking at projects. There were always things that i admired about every project, beginner or advanced.
- quality of work, even the beginner has areas of great skill
- the creativity of the projects, especialy art boxes, simply mazing
- the different species of wood being used

As i get into woodworking more and more and want to experiment with different species i began noticing the cost of some exotics. Then i began to think back…. didn't i see an entire workbench made of this, or a router table, or something large made from an exotic.
I started to wonder if some LJ out there were just independently wealthy. I have a hard time coming up with 100.00 for a project, and i was looking at projects in the 1000.00's and they were bench's for the workshop. Could it be true that in some areas of the US and world that some lumber is not as expensive as others?
I'm very curious (without prying to much) on how my fellow LJ's go about purchasing there lumber, is it online, local mills, yourown backyard. What are you paying for your wood, do you have a budget for projects. Even those making cutting boards, 4 or 5 of them with exotics can put you in the hundreds…..
Just curious, don't mean to pry into personal finances of anyone…...

Keep up the great work everyone, Pine or Padauk it's all wood…. :)

·
Registered
13,677 Posts

I've been a LJ now for awhile, and even before i joined i was constantly on the site looking at projects. There were always things that i admired about every project, beginner or advanced.

As i get into woodworking more and more and want to experiment with different species i began noticing the cost of some exotics. Then i began to think back…. didn't i see an entire workbench made of this, or a router table, or something large made from an exotic.
I started to wonder if some LJ out there were just independently wealthy. I have a hard time coming up with 100.00 for a project, and i was looking at projects in the 1000.00's and they were bench's for the workshop. Could it be true that in some areas of the US and world that some lumber is not as expensive as others?
I'm very curious (without prying to much) on how my fellow LJ's go about purchasing there lumber, is it online, local mills, yourown backyard. What are you paying for your wood, do you have a budget for projects. Even those making cutting boards, 4 or 5 of them with exotics can put you in the hundreds…..

I've wondered the same thing. I've got a pretty respectable hobby budget but some of the projects I see here are far beyond. A big veneer project, I can understand; but a lot of these guys are building large pieces with solid exotics. I had great exotic availability in LA, some in TN, and none in WV. I'm now building out of stuff that grows on the hills here. If you figure it out, let me know!

·
Registered
683 Posts

ive wondered the same thing

after spending what i think is quite a large sum of money on the tools i need for this hobby i really dont have the budget to by the wood i would like to get for certain projects. ive never actually bought hardwood lumber from a supplier other the home depot. ive never been able to afford too!

for instance right now im trying to figure out how to come up with extra cash to make some adirondack chairs. i just plan on using treated lumber but still its going to be about $60 for 2 chairs. to me thats a lot!

if id known how much this hobby costs i probably would have thought against starting it lol

·
Registered
13,677 Posts

I think it probably has more to do with location. In Louisiana, I could get cypress for $1 a board foot because it was so abundant. I see CL offers all the time here in WV for walnut trees (you move it, you keep it kind of thing). I think the guys with huge stashes have an in on a mill. Some others just spend a lot of money on wood, I suppose. I've ordered online before & was happy with the product; but it wasn't cheap.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.