LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi! I need help with sharpening my 3/8" spindle gouge. I'm able to get it sharp, but I end up with a pointed fingernail or tip, rather than a rounded one. I've used the method of marking the part to be sharpened with a Sharpie and lining up my jig. I have the generic One way type, I think it comes from PS. I've also tried it with the fingernail jig and 2" depth block. Both ways I get a pointed end. Maybe there is still something wrong with the angle I'm doing it at? Any tips would be appreciated. I don't have this problem with my other bigger gouges.
Thanks,
Vicki

·
Registered
702 Posts
I posted a youtube link in the thread below (Bowl Gouge Grind). John Lucas show how to correct a pointed end.
Should work for a spindle gouge as well as a bowl gouge.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Instruction manual really stink explaining adjustments to the V-arm and Fingernail jig! Searched all over for a video showing how to use that that system but no luck. If was at your house we could fix that gouge in a few minutes with few simple adjustments. Since that is not possible you are on your own making necessary corrections.

If spend too much time on the sides of a gouge will get pointy tip tool. Make a slight adjustment and concentrate more on the tip. I would try moving the V-arm back a tiny bit first. Gradually through resharpening will get everything even.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Wood+Lathe+Sharpening+Jig&FORM=RESTAB#view=detail&mid=02C8D950B8356AE719C002C8D950B8356AE719C0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.