LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
We all know that a standard 2×4 stud is 92 5/8" (92.625).....why?

when framing a wall panel, a standard 2×4x96 is used….2×4s are 1.5×3.5"......so with a bottom and top plate married together with a stud,.....the total height is 95.625"

this is smaller than a standard 4×8 sheet of plywood or wall board…..!!

Am I confused?

can anyone explain this???

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
92 5/8" studs are the wall studs you use for basic height of the average wall…then theres the bottom plate and 2 top plates which adds 4 1/2" more to the height of the wall which makes it slightly higher than 8' to put up the ceiling and drywall. there are also the 104 5/8" studs for the higher walls (typical walls). once you add the other 4 1/2" it makes it just above 9 ft to add the drywall to the ceiling and walls.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Doug, as for framing I can only tell ya from my own experience, in Texas and Tenn. You have one bottom treated plate (1.5") two top plates ( 3") and the 92 5/8" for a total of 97 1/8". If you use fire rated sheet rock on the ceiling, then you should have just enough space for two sheets of 4' x 8' drywall on the horizontal with a space left at the bottom so that the wall sheets don't wick up the water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.