LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a late start

The story so far…

I had this idea for the 2×4 project… actually I had 2 ideas, one (living in an OLD house), was to use a true 2×4 salvaged from an earlier home reno project and get to use better looking, straighter, and certainly drier lumber. (not to mention a larger piece…) but alas, I decided that wasn't in the spirit of the challenge, whether or not I had the piece I'd need without having to knock down a wall to get it.

the second (taking a tip from Zuki's playbook and not sharing it just yet) is to do something well outside the box. I'm actually remaking a project I did several years back for my MIL, though that was in my pre-woodworking days and I had to resort to pre-milled craft lumber at the Big Box, or Hobby store. Obviously this time I'm using a 2×4.

Despite having sketched out my project back before the contest was announced, I finally made my first cuts this afternoon. Nothing like waiting until the last minute, eh?

Turns out I didn't have a whole 2×4 (not one without a 1/4 twist in it) BUT on the fly, i figured I could make do with half of one. I did have a fairly straight one of those… a little battered on the outside, and not terribly knotty.

First step, sand the outside (after cutting it down into two 2 foot pieces). Then I ripped them in to 1/4 inch strips and sanded again. I was going to rip them into 1/4×3 1/2 strips, but saw that if I ripped them on the short dimension they'd all be either quartersawn or rift sawn (stronger, more stable and look way better!)

Here's where my progress ended before dinner:

There it is, just under 1/2 a 2×4. probably less than 2/5 if you deduct for waste and sawdust - the basement atmospere is thick with sawdust!

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

I had this idea for the 2×4 project… actually I had 2 ideas, one (living in an OLD house), was to use a true 2×4 salvaged from an earlier home reno project and get to use better looking, straighter, and certainly drier lumber. (not to mention a larger piece…) but alas, I decided that wasn't in the spirit of the challenge, whether or not I had the piece I'd need without having to knock down a wall to get it.

the second (taking a tip from Zuki's playbook and not sharing it just yet) is to do something well outside the box. I'm actually remaking a project I did several years back for my MIL, though that was in my pre-woodworking days and I had to resort to pre-milled craft lumber at the Big Box, or Hobby store. Obviously this time I'm using a 2×4.

Despite having sketched out my project back before the contest was announced, I finally made my first cuts this afternoon. Nothing like waiting until the last minute, eh?

Turns out I didn't have a whole 2×4 (not one without a 1/4 twist in it) BUT on the fly, i figured I could make do with half of one. I did have a fairly straight one of those… a little battered on the outside, and not terribly knotty.

First step, sand the outside (after cutting it down into two 2 foot pieces). Then I ripped them in to 1/4 inch strips and sanded again. I was going to rip them into 1/4×3 1/2 strips, but saw that if I ripped them on the short dimension they'd all be either quartersawn or rift sawn (stronger, more stable and look way better!)

There it is, just under 1/2 a 2×4. probably less than 2/5 if you deduct for waste and sawdust - the basement atmospere is thick with sawdust!
Hmmm! What's it going to be?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

I'm spending far too much time glued to this screen trying to sort out all these puzzles!

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

Looking forward to progress on this one.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

A woven hamster cage. It has to be!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

lol mot.

I ran into the same thing Scott . . . I initially calculated using 1 2×4 for Project X, but when I started cutting I realized I could make 2.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

Hmm, made for MIL and I'm his BIL, you'd think I would have a clue….sorry chaps not ringing any bells..

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

ok how about another clue lol

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

Who need reality shows. This contest has them all beat.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a late start

The story so far…

another clue?.... will be based on a shaker one I saw in the Berkshires ;)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

Go! Go! GO! (Someone wrote me that once and it helped).

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

Is it pepper or salt: Shaker that is. Oh yah you can make 2 so it is a matched set.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

oooooooooooooooooooooh the Berkshires!!!! ah HAH!!

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
a late start

The story so far…

I am sure that I would like to have one.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
second verse, same as the first

To look at my progress so far, you'd think I haven't done anything… but I have! I've turned 1/2 of my slats into dust!

I decided that they were too thick for my taste (1/4 inch) and with a couple of test pieces I just couldn't resaw them with the band saw… (easily or quickly) so I turned the tablesaw into a jointer, ran over them with 60 and 100 grit with the Random Orbit Sander and voila… fifteen 1/8inch strips…

This is about as far as I can take this without giving everything away… (so unless everything goes bust) the third post's the charm!

·
Registered
10,319 Posts

To look at my progress so far, you'd think I haven't done anything… but I have! I've turned 1/2 of my slats into dust!

I decided that they were too thick for my taste (1/4 inch) and with a couple of test pieces I just couldn't resaw them with the band saw… (easily or quickly) so I turned the tablesaw into a jointer, ran over them with 60 and 100 grit with the Random Orbit Sander and voila… fifteen 1/8inch strips…

This is about as far as I can take this without giving everything away… (so unless everything goes bust) the third post's the charm!
15, 1/8 strips. Hmmm….

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

Sounds like some form of bent lamination to me. You guys are making it difficult to get anything done since I keep wondering when the next post is coming. As I have said in other posts this is better than any reality show on tv.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

ah-ha!! 15 rulers!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

fifteen 2/3 yard sticks!

·
Registered
35,383 Posts

Well if you glue them together. You almost get your 2X4 back again.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.