LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Throwing My Hat in the Ring

Well, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with this. I had to take a few days to ponder what Stewart did. It just made me want to come up with something entirely different that what we've seen. Stewart as well as quite a few other entries since, have really raised the bar, and in the words of a woodworker, whom I greatly admire, Neil Lamens , "Challenge yourself!" Some coaching on this process has come from a grumpy old woodturner, too.

To go along with the intent of the challenge, I pulled this 2×4 out from behind my hockey sticks and and broken shovel handles in the corner of the garage. You know, the one that is where my door is blocked by the shop floor hoist to move steel around and take my hydraulic deck off my truck….sorry, I digress. Anyway, I found a 2×4. It's straight, really dry, and sort of orange.

I started by cutting it in half as maneuvering anything that is 8 feet long, in my shop, can end up with broken light bulbs, smacked knuckles and a general poor attitude by the shop inhabitant.

After a few passes on the jointer, a run through the planer, and a taste of some carbide on the tablesaw, this seemingly forgotten hunk of spruce comes to life! To think, the lonely days and nights that led to months and years, that this piece of wood sat. Just waiting for the day where it could say, "Joint me, plane me, cut off my round overs. Let me show you what I have to give!"

I flipped it, and flopped it, then slathered it in Tite Bond II and glued it back together. Some of it's long lost cousins, veterans of another time, another bench, another test of process, helped this fledgling piece of framing lumber. Helped it hold itself together on plane. Helped it on it's journey to becoming more than just another 2×4!

Show me, Mr. 2×4! Show me what you have in store for me!

To be continued….

·
In Loving Memory
10,319 Posts

Well, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with this. I had to take a few days to ponder what Stewart did. It just made me want to come up with something entirely different that what we've seen. Stewart as well as quite a few other entries since, have really raised the bar, and in the words of a woodworker, whom I greatly admire, Neil Lamens , "Challenge yourself!" Some coaching on this process has come from a grumpy old woodturner, too.

To go along with the intent of the challenge, I pulled this 2×4 out from behind my hockey sticks and and broken shovel handles in the corner of the garage. You know, the one that is where my door is blocked by the shop floor hoist to move steel around and take my hydraulic deck off my truck….sorry, I digress. Anyway, I found a 2×4. It's straight, really dry, and sort of orange.

I started by cutting it in half as maneuvering anything that is 8 feet long, in my shop, can end up with broken light bulbs, smacked knuckles and a general poor attitude by the shop inhabitant.

After a few passes on the jointer, a run through the planer, and a taste of some carbide on the tablesaw, this seemingly forgotten hunk of spruce comes to life! To think, the lonely days and nights that led to months and years, that this piece of wood sat. Just waiting for the day where it could say, "Joint me, plane me, cut off my round overs. Let me show you what I have to give!"

I flipped it, and flopped it, then slathered it in Tite Bond II and glued it back together. Some of it's long lost cousins, veterans of another time, another bench, another test of process, helped this fledgling piece of framing lumber. Helped it hold itself together on plane. Helped it on it's journey to becoming more than just another 2×4!

To be continued….
Hmmm!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

To be continued….
Interesting teaser Tom . . .

What does that 2×4 have to offer?!

·
Registered
11,304 Posts

To be continued….
Can't wait to see progress…

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

To be continued….
This is exactly what makes it all worth-while when we log in before breakfast - and after, and at lunchtime and…

LJ has got us hooked. Mrs YS says it's eating into her knitting time!

So up to now we have a really neat piece of 8×2 lying up there in Alberta. Can't wait for the next step.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

To be continued….
A little bit of attention and a lowly 2×4 can become a rather attractive piece of wood. I must admit that the teasing nature of the entries is somewhat frustrating in an entertaining sort of way. While anticipation may be the most enjoyable part of any experience, I JUST WANT TO SEE IT DONE!! Oops, got carried away there for a minute. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

To be continued….
tease

·
Registered
198 Posts

To be continued….
Was it William Wallace the great 2×4 emancipator who said…...."Joint me, plane me, cut off my round overs. Let me show you what I have to give!" or was that Mel Gibson.

Thanks for the challenge thought Tom…...........as I walk to school with my little toolbox!!:)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

To be continued….
What evil lurks with-in?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

To be continued….
H Tom;

To me it looks like a bunch of smaller 2" x 4" 's.

That's it. isn't it Tom (hope I didn't blow your secret).

Lee

·
Registered
8,861 Posts

To be continued….
WOW!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts

To be continued….
2×4 Challenge #1: Throwing My Hat in the Ring

Hat?
?

I know what it is!!

A cowboy hat - Right?

Bob

·
Registered
2,983 Posts

To be continued….
Go for it Tom!

·
Registered
918 Posts

To be continued….
Hockey sticks…Did I read Hockey Sticks in your post. You have by vote. I look forward to seeing what you produce.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts

To be continued….
I like a man who address the soul of a tree even if it is a 2×4. Of course I talk to myself a lot (too long a bachelor out on some farm property - drives the wife mad). Go get 'em, Tom.

·
Registered
16,431 Posts

To be continued….
I think Stewart found the true answer… you are making a 4 ft. 2×8. Brilliant, Tom! Thr greatest ideas are usually the simplest ones! <g>

·
In Loving Memory
26,886 Posts

To be continued….
Can't wait till the end when it's all "spruced" up.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

To be continued….
I do love my petty torments! I wonder what tonight will bring? (Maniacal laugh!)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

To be continued….
Ahhhh . . . I see another mystery unfolding.

·
Registered
35,383 Posts

To be continued….
Great teaser Tom. Your further along than me.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.