LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, first time poster and only have a couple of years of woodworking under my belt. I am hoping someone can give me some insight on the problem I currently have. I recently upgraded and reconfigured my stock Harbor Freight dust collector to a 2 stage unit.

First, I replaced the impeller that came with the unit to a WEN 12"one and I replaced the dust bag with a filter canister.
Second, I reconfigured the unit to a 2 stage dust collector unit and added a Super Dust Deputy.

The problem I have is when the dust comes in the Dust Deputy, it doesn't drop into the garbage bin but continues on to the overflow bucket. I have checked the Deputy inflow hose and the hose going from the bottom of the deputy to the garbage bin. There isn't any clogs. I have removed the garbage bin and the overflow bucket and started the unit. There is a suction coming from the hose connecting the Deputy to the garbage bin and there is a large amount of air coming from coming unit holding the filter canister where overflow bucket and the shelf meet.

I have attached a pic of the setup. Please overlook the excess tinfoil tape and 2×4 brace.
Gas Electrical wiring Wood Machine Plumbing valve

If you look on the floor under the blue overflow bucket you will a large amount of Walnut shaving from the planar that come from the spewing out of a hole between the platform and the lid of bucket.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The lid for the Brute is 2 pieces of 3/4 ply. The bottom piece has been cut to fit the open of the can. The top piece has been screwed to the bottom and been lined with a gasket to seal the opening. when the unit is running you can see where the side of the Brute has been sucked in slightly.

To address you statement "It might also work better if your cyclone was attached directly to the lid of the larger can and the hose was between the top of the cyclone and the impeller." Do you think a foot of hose would be enough or more then a ft?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts