LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
i have been using 2 sided tape for lots of items in the shop for a long time i had 3 rolls of the stuff. i ran out last week and have been looking for more all i can find is real thick stuff that will not work for my purposes
i was sure i got this stuff at lowe's/home depot but i can not find it short of ordering it on line
where do you get it ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've used three types:
-The thick mega-holding-power stuff from Rockler
-Scotch double sided tape (comes in a yellow dispenser, I think I got it at Target)
-Carpet tape from home depot (it's in the carpet section, not with the rest of the tapes in the paint section)

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
I only use carpet tape, but I've never heard of turner's tape. I don't even know if they have here in Norway. A dumb question, but how is it used Jim and who makes it?

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
I was like eddy on the tape. I ran out of the tape I like(woodworkers supply.com), and ordered a roll of turners tape from Rocklers( I think 1"x ?) It's not in their catalog-you have to ask for it. Anyway- just wanted to say I HATE THAT CRAP!!!!!! I built a jig for tapering legs, used some to hold the stop block and backer to keep the leg tapered before I drilled the holes so I could use it for other legs. Tried to take it off, and it almost tore the plywood up trying to pry it loose. It's WAY TOO STICKY and gummy with all the threads in it. I s.c'd that crap, and swore never to buy another roll. And it was brand new!!! Don't buy it-it's crap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use 3M 9576 tape. It's thin, the adhesive rolls off with your thumb and it holds very well. You can get it relatively inexpensively in 1/2, 1 and 2 inch widths. I use 1/2" almost exclusively and get it from drillspot.com.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks all i will try home depot Monday. i went to Lowe's wed ck-ed carpet area all they had was some really thick stuff i have plenty of ideas now
again thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always use 'turning tape' from Woodcraft. It's double-sided tape in their catalog, but the guys in the store call it turning tape. Use it sparingly unless you are actually using it to attach stock to a faceplate for turning - it isn't cheap, and it really holds on. I have an old 1-1/2" putty knife that I sharpened up to help 'unstick' it. It leaves no residue.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
I get the mesh/cloth type carpet tape from Walmart. It's "Duck" brand, IIRC. Lacquer thinner works well for removal.
The Ace near me, never heard of the stuff…??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.