LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

2 HF dust collectors connected together

12K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  dorald 
As good as the Dust Deputy is, it does not help the HF 2HP collector in my opinion.
Think about what you just said. "The one thing I do is I only have one machine running at any time, so I don't have any duct work. I just have one 4" flex hose hooked up to one machine at a time."

Okay, so you have two things killing your suction. A 10 foot long 4" hose has about the same resistance as 100ft of smooth 5" pipe. Then you are putting a cyclone in the flow. That probably drops your static pressure by at least 4" to 6". You only had about 8" to 10" of static to start with so you are cutting it in half.

The inlet of the HF collector, If you remove the "Wye" is 5" diameter. The best system for a single hose setup would be 5" hose.

The Wynn cartridge should have helped the flow a little and it does a better job of capturing fine dust so it would be a keeper.

If you want to double something you would be better off double the cyclones, connected in parallel, side by side. Connect the cyclone top outlets to two 4" hoses terminated at the wye inlet on the fan. Then add a 4" x 4" x 5" wye and two short 4" hoses to the cyclone inlets. Then run a 5" hose from this wye to which ever machine you want to run.

I'm an engineer with 40 years experience designing pollution control systems.
I suggested what would be the best way to use what you have and what would be best to expand it's capacity.

Another fan will not gain you much except for a larger electric bill and higher noise level.

No skin off my back side which ever way you go about it.

Good luck.

While true that pairing of two cyclones in parallel will decrease the efficiency of the cyclones it will increase the volume of air going through the system, and therefore provide more CFM at the collection point. The loss of efficiency of the cyclones simply means more of the fine dust will pass through them and go on to be captured by the Wynn filter.

I didn t plan on using 2 cyclones, just 2 blowers connected with a Y-pipe then going to the cyclone that sits on top of a trash can.
It seems there are so many opinions on this and I am not really sure if I have explained exactly what I am trying to do.
I just want to increase the air flow to the cyclone. Once the dust gets to the cyclone, it will deposit the dust into the trash can and then go the the wynn air filter.

- sawdustjunkie
Way back in post #11 I suggested the two cyclone idea. I know you did not plan on going that way.
I was trying to help you avoid spending the money for a second blower which would not help you much if you do not change out the size of ducting also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.