LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st fiddle

my first attempt at fiddle building.i will post progress each day.
i'm using my homemade tools that you can see in my projects from last year
i haven't did anything in a while .hope this can inspire and help someone to build

the neck is maple
i'll post pictures when i can figure it out

·
In Loving Memory
1,383 Posts
1st fiddle

i haven't did anything in a while .hope this can inspire and help someone to build

the neck is maple
Roy,

Good to hear from you again. Looking forward to reading about and hopefully seeing your progress! I'd love to learn how to make a fiddle!

·
Registered
169 Posts
1st fiddle

the neck is maple
Glad you're back! I've been gone a while too. Have you been having problems posting pictures? I can't upload them to photobucket from the modem at home…have to do it at work during lunchtime. Look forward to seeing that fiddle!

·
Registered
624 Posts
1st fiddle

the neck is maple
Hope we get to hear the finished project.

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
1st fiddle

the neck is maple
I'm keen to watch the progress.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1st fiddle

the neck is maple
good to hear from all my old friends again and a couple of new ones
if anybody is interested i will give a detailed and measurments of the process. i am guess about 6 months to get to play it. i don't know how to work the pictures. i use to just download from my computer
nothing expencive needed. lots of time and hard work.
i have 20 hours in 2 days on the neck and haveni cut the scroll yet. i will tackle it tomorrow.i have took detailed pictures of the daily step by step process
i am just learning to play the fiddle bought a cheap one for $70 to learn on

send me a personal email JonJ

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1st fiddle

the neck is maple
i'll see if this works for the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/roydahlgren/FirstFiddle#

let me know
so far 3 days 30 hours and just starting to take shape

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
start of the pictures..i'll give a description of process later

hers the start, it's going to be a long hard build. but i know if it was easy everybody would do it!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
day 4

the scroll is finall taking shape. i got it a little crocked so it will take a couple more days to whittle it some more. it wouldnot be hard to cut a scroll if it only had 1 side. getting 2 to match????!!!
If it's crooked, I couldn't tell it!
Really looking good. Are you using a pattern or designing it yourself? I really like the shape…It looks different than most I've seen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
day 4

the scroll is finall taking shape. i got it a little crocked so it will take a couple more days to whittle it some more. it wouldnot be hard to cut a scroll if it only had 1 side. getting 2 to match????!!!
the boss knows i'm fiddleing around. i'm working at the kitchen table!!!
i used a pattern out of a book to get it ruffed out then just used my eye and a pencil, a couple of different sized washers., to make curves, and my homemade tools, pics in my blog from last year, a chain saw file and my pocket knife.
the scroll was whittled out with my pocket knife, and chain saw file at the kitchen table

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
day 6 & 7

day 6 and 7 spent working on the mold
didn't have the right thickness of wood so i used my small IBEX plane to bring it down to size. i figured it would give me some practice using and taking apart ,sharpening, then putting back together and resetting the cutting edge before i start carving on the plates. i have both the toothed blade,for cutting across the grain, and the smooth blade for cutting with the grain.
i have to cut and shape the end blocks, then i will be ready to make a homemade,of course!, side bender

·
In Loving Memory
1,383 Posts
day 6 & 7

didn't have the right thickness of wood so i used my small IBEX plane to bring it down to size. i figured it would give me some practice using and taking apart ,sharpening, then putting back together and resetting the cutting edge before i start carving on the plates. i have both the toothed blade,for cutting across the grain, and the smooth blade for cutting with the grain.
i have to cut and shape the end blocks, then i will be ready to make a homemade,of course!, side bender

Sweet little plane, Roy.
Is the middle of the sandwich just being used as a support while you thin the faces?
Is that spruce you are using?
Why all the holes in the body?

Keep up the nice work!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
day 6 & 7

the mold is 2 pieces held together with screws. it is made this way so it can be removed after the sides are bent and attached with hide glue to the end blocks. the usual violin mold has 4 blocks where the points are on the sides. i wanted to be different so i did not make the points on the "C" bout.
the mold is 5/8 plywood and pine for the other side. i didn't have the right size wood so i just used what i had and planed the pine side to get my rough size.
the holes are in the mold to put dowls thru the holes and use rubber bands to hold the forms that hold the sides till they dry. i have to pre bend the sides to fit the form by steam bending. then put them on the form glue the sides to the end blocks and then use the dowls and the left over pieces where i cut out the mold to hold the sides in place for a few days till it drys

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bending the sides

tryed to bend the sides today
oops!!! side split
don't use a brace that don't cover the entire side. when it dryed it split on 1 side where the grain was wavey
it split because the brace i used was just a thin piece where i cut out the mold.
i will build some more braces that are thicker than the sides so that it covers the entire piece!!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
bending the sides

oops!!! side split
don't use a brace that don't cover the entire side. when it dryed it split on 1 side where the grain was wavey
it split because the brace i used was just a thin piece where i cut out the mold.
i will build some more braces that are thicker than the sides so that it covers the entire piece!!!

Looks like your off to a great start, well except that little mishap with sides. I look froward to seeing how it all turns out. good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bending the sides

oops!!! side split

we all learn from destroying beautiful expensive wood !!!!
i hope my mistake will help the next person not make that same mistake i did

if i knew what i was doing …i would be done by now!!!!

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
bending the sides

oops!!! side split

The scroll and the pegbox looks very nice.
Didn't you apply steam bending technique?
I hope to see the finished fiddle pretty soon!
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.