LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Hey guys, I am building a sander like the one pictured below, the plans recommend a ¾HP but after reading some reviews people say if they had their time back they would go with a 1HP so that is what I am going to do. My question is how much should I pay for a used 1HP motor in good condition? I am going to place a want ad on Kijiji later on and I want to know a ball park figure. Also if anyone out there in Lj land has a 1HP motor they want to get rid of I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Oooo thats cool, where did you get the plans from? (sorry I know nothing of motors)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grizzly would be my first choice for everything but only one minor issue… they don't ship to Canada, I think I might get a cheap dust collector and strip it down for the motor, I saw a Craftex for $150

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is almost all wood, the green parts are 3/4" MDF, there is a metal c channel going through the center, bearings and some steel rod but thats about it for the metal pieces.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Besides the motor, have you priced out the rest of the materials? Do you know about how much it would cost? I may try building one of these. When I bought my table saw I got an extra 1 1/2 HP motor as a back up with it. May put it to use with something like this.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not including the motor I think its going to cost around $100, thats just the metal pieces, I have all the MDF and hardwood around the shop, it needs one and a half sheets of 3/4" MDF, about 20BF of hardwood and some pulys, bearings, threaded rod that will run me about $60.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks pretty cool.. I need/want a side stroke sander to.The question i have is can you make it direct drive
and make sure you have a graphite backer. As far as the motor goes Try Busy Bee or General.You might also be able to get one from a local motor electrical shop. Good Luck. Keep us informed on your progress.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Chris,

Check the phone book for an electric motor repair shop. They may have some good rebuilt ones for a reasonable price.

Lew

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Not sure about your area, but around here, there are shops that rebuild and sell electric motors pretty cheap… I think $100.00 U.S. for a 1.5 HP 110V motor…

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW Grizzly does ship to Canada now, I have been waiting for this moment for years, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would have to agree, Grainger does run alittle high. But when you got to have it, they have come through.
Since I am in the trades, I have been able to negotiate a better price. The squeaky customer gets the deal :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.