LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have an older RAS, I actuallu had it for years but never got to set it up. I finally have room to put it up and build a bench around it. This saw is in great shape and has had little or no abuse. I'm looking into blades I should buy. a friend recommended this, 10 deg. positive hook blade with a "triple chip profile". He says it eliminates ( or lessens) the pull of the saw. This way it don't grab and rip right at me. He says they are much safer than a typical blade. I will only crosscut with it ( 90 degrees), and I use an array of soft and hardwoods.

Just to tickle my imagination I am wondering what type of accessories they made for saws like these. I found an article about using dadoes, making mouldings, and cutting tenions. Are these practical to appy on these saws. I know they are notorious for coming out of square when adjusted frequently.

Basically What I want to know is any kinds of useful stuff i can do with it other than crosscut. Secondly which blade would best serve my purpose for safety, and cut quality? I have used RAS plenty in the past, but now I use my own i have a million questions.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
You can put a molding head cutter, sanding disc, and a dado blade on it. you can even put a chuck on it and use it as a pin router. As for blades I generally just use crosscut blades that I have for my table saw. I have a 1958 craftsman RAS myself and would give up my SCMS before the RAS.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think the RAS is a great tool, I use my constantly, great for dadoes, I can't remember what blade I use I will look and see. At one time there was a large drum sander attachemet made for these says I think it was Performax that made it, also a planer attachment, I have a drill chuck on mine and use milling cutters.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I love my Craftsman RAS. I have a Freud 10" blade in mine. I also use a 7" Craftsman Dado in it, and I have a Craftsman molding head cutter that has several blade sets for it. She is on her fourth homemade tabletop and her eighth fence, but it's a workhorse and she runs great.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
here is what i did ,
there are more 'accessories' down further in the post ,

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/21465

it is a great tool ,
use it safely .
many will comment against it ,
but for years it was the tool on all building sites .
the problem being that they were just used and abused by transient carpenters ,
the tables and back stops cut up and no out board hold ups used .
so naturally , they got a reputation for dangerous tools .
set up properly ,
they are as versatile and safe as any other tool in the shop .

·
Registered
361 Posts
Patron/David,
Nice bench I really like how it's collapsible, and it juts out near the arm. I was trying to figure out if I want a 24" bench or just a jut-out.

I'll never use it for ripping, ( so I say) but the moulding heads are a little intruging

Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
here is more ,
for dados ,
you could do molding cutters ( crosscut ) ,
with this ,
or do your cutters (rip ) ,
without it .

http://lumberjocks.com/patron/blog/11083

when ripping with the ras ,
always lay the guard down on the work ,
to keep it from lifting ,
and always feed the wood from the
proper end ,
into the teeth , not with them ,
same as in the table saw .

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that second post is amazing. I really like the functionality. I guess i got a lot of learning to do….totally blew my mind, now I got stuff to build…... Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.