LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Was able to snag this much neglected, vintage band saw for FREE! Everything except for a sloppy metallic green spray job was original and complete. All major parts were fine, it just needed a really good cleaning. Found two cracked parts from over-tightened set screws, the metal guide blocks and all bearings were originals. The 1/3-HP Kingston-Conley motor is from that era, and may also be original-it was completely impacted with gummy sawdust, but cleaned up beautifully and once again hums like new.

Sandblasting the rust and old paint ran $75 but I managed to get most everything else on sale: tires, link belt, cool blocks, blades, Woodcraft mobile base, upper guide bracket, two guide bearings, and all new wiring into a MLCS safety switch. On the OWWM web site I found a 1935 Delta catalog, as well as a high-resolution jpeg of my original Delta decal that I duplicated with a color laser printer on water-slide decal paper.

A very helpful technician at my local Delta/Dewalt Service Center had the foresight to rescue several very rare full-line Delta catalogs from the 1930s after someone there had thrown them out. I begged him to digitize them and post them on the OWWM web site.

After much researching I still can't definitively date my saw, but the old catalogs verified that the 14" band saw debuted in 1934 and only the '34, '35' and '36 models sported the distinctive ribs on the covers. Component parts seem to be identical during this three year period, and apparently Delta didn't use serial numbers at that time.

The 1935 price for this saw was $43.85, the steel stand was $6.85, lamp attachment $1.50, v-belt and pulley $1.45, and a Delta brand 1/3-HP electric motor was an additional $18.95-original total, a whopping $72.15.

My restoration, including the addition of a modern mobile base and safety power switch was about $340. Hope to be in half as good shape when I'm turning 75!

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
great restoration !

it looks like you found it new in an old warehouse .

except for the switch of course .

well done !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't mask it at all, that's a "new-old" decal. As you can see on the "before" photo above, the original decal was beyond saving so I replicated it with a .jpg file I found on the OWWM web site. I used a color laser printer and special water-slide decal paper to create an exact replica.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Doesn't get any better than that!!!!!! This makes me want to run out to the shed and start restoring the 14" Delta I bought for $50. Those heavy wheels should make for a nice cutting saw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a vintage Delta 14" Bandsaw yesterday. It appears to be of the same era as yours. I'm new at this and can't seem to add a photo here. Check out my workshop to see photos of the saw.

Do you have a source for parts? I'd like to add a riser block. Though I like the idea of adding an original one made in the 30's, functionality is my primary goal so I'd be happy to add an aftermarket riser. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the saw. The previous owner put new tires, a new blade, and the old motor seems just purrs along.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.