LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1

Gidday from the land down under [where men thunder].

I have been reading lately about the 30 in 30 and have decided to up the ante.
As most of you know I love making boards so I plan to make at least 150 by the end of September or early October. The main reason for this challenge to myself is that I have been invited to the Melbourne Working With Wood Show in October and I don't want to turn up with just a handfull of boards.

Most of you know that I also have a regular job so this is being done in my spare time LOL
I admit that I have recently semi-retired and am only working 7 days per fortnight so I do have more time now to play in the shop.

'Stepped and tapered' is being counted as #1.

Yesterday was day one and I got off to a great start. I made a heap of sawdust [my wife loves it for her gardens]
All in all got 14 boards cut. Five of them have been glued up and the others will be in clamps by the end of the day. BTW none of these boards is a simple stripe design although I may have to resort to doing the simple ones if it looks like I am running out of time. I will only post here… each day as I get each one finished. This will leave the front page for others to showcase their work.

At the end of the time when I have all 150 or so boards done I will post pics of the whole shebang, [in projects], all laid out.
Stay tuned for pics of the next 5 ie 2 thru 6

PS me and my big mouth,., what have I gotten myself into, ??

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Day 1

As most of you know I love making boards so I plan to make at least 150 by the end of September or early October. The main reason for this challenge to myself is that I have been invited to the Melbourne Working With Wood Show in October and I don't want to turn up with just a handfull of boards.

Most of you know that I also have a regular job so this is being done in my spare time LOL
I admit that I have recently semi-retired and am only working 7 days per fortnight so I do have more time now to play in the shop.

Yesterday was day one and I got off to a great start. I made a heap of sawdust [my wife loves it for her gardens]
All in all got 14 boards cut. Five of them have been glued up and the others will be in clamps by the end of the day. BTW none of these boards is a simple stripe design although I may have to resort to doing the simple ones if it looks like I am running out of time. I will only post here… each day as I get each one finished. This will leave the front page for others to showcase their work.

At the end of the time when I have all 150 or so boards done I will post pics of the whole shebang, [in projects], all laid out.

Good luck Larry be careful when were tired were more lightly to get hurt

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Day 1

Having seen your boards, this will be no small feat. It will be fun watching your inventory grow. Production work takes a special kind of discipline.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Day 1

You can do it!!!!
Every one will be a true Lazy Larry or Lazy Larry take off!
I'm waiting with baited breath (can you see those worms!!)
Ellen

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Day 1

Hi I wondered what you meant by boards ,now I see it's cutting boards well done Alistair

·
Registered
887 Posts
Day 1

lets see… 14 boards in 1 day… 11 days for 150 boards… what are you going to do the rest of the time?

good luck and do the cutting when you are fresh at the beginning of the day.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Day 1

At first I had a similar though as did Alistair. I don't think that I could get 50 individual boards ready in that time frame much less 50 cutting boards. This is certainly going to be an interesting challenge to watch but if anyone on here can do it you can, Larry.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
Day 1

be very careful … also booze and woodworking do not mix well

·
Premium Member
25,653 Posts
Day 1

Congrats on the invitation! You're becoming a living legend:)) Go Larry, Go!! How about taking 50 lazy larrys too? :))

13,555 Posts
Day 1

Congrats Larry.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Day 1

you can do it Larry, you are the best board maker I know , but if you don't, now this is your challenge to yourself, if you don't, you must wear the short red dress to the woodworking show, so, now you have some incentive, get to work.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Day 1

Thats a lot of wood and a lot of glue!!!! I'm sure you can do it… no worries!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Day 1

C'mon. He's got the Torque Master. He can smooth 15 at one setting. Do a video at the same time for marketing purposes. He can be the Aussie David Marks or Scott Peterson.
Got cable down there? Larry the Cable Guy!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Day 1

Sawdust2, you mean Larry the Board Guy, right?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Day 1

31 days in August, 30 in September- 150 boards in 61 days = 2.459 boards/day. No sweat for you Larry, it will also be good use of that stockpile of wood you got going on behind the workshop.
Go, Larry, Go…..we're all cheering you on !!

Lisa

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Day 1

Thank you all… especially sawdust2 aka Lee. I really like Larry the Cable Guy and to be compared with him is an honor!!!!!!
BTW it is a Torque Work Centre, big brother to the Router Master and son of the Slab Master.
David Marks, I admire, and am happy to be mentioned in the same sentence with him but who is the other guy.
Red dress,,,,,Ok but I draw the line at fishnet stockings. lol

14 up and running and now am now dressing some more timber for the next 5 or so. Better start using some more of the European Wild Cherry.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Day 1

this will sure be fun to watch

now time for the stupid question will all the boards be an original design (ie no 2 the same ) or is this just me being sadistic

Good luck with careful planning i beleive you will do this

Hooky

PS have you not listened to the words to the song men dont thunder they …... (not polite for this forum)

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Day 1

Hooky, as far as humanely [not humanly] possible I will be making all the boards somewhat unique. While the design may be similar the finished product will be different in size color grain timber etc. I envisage some where around 10 different styles and If I have time a few LLs thrown in for good measure.

Larry the Board Guy LMAO
PS thanks for all the support and good wishes from all..

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Day 1

You can handle it! No worries mate!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Day 1

You'll need more than "Toucans for this project…LOL…Blkcherry

1 - 20 of 387 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.