LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have only worked with grizzly table saws and don't have as much experience with the planers as I do delta and powermatic. What do yall think about this machine and price. Owner said it needs to be sharpened and cleaned. Other than that it works fine. I thought it a bit high. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/4938441502.html

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I'd look at the blades, and be prepared to replace and that will cost a bit of money. Get the manual and see what a stock blade should be size wise.

Then when you measure the blades on the unit for sale that will tell you how many time's they have been sharpened. Take a look at the condition of the gibs (bolts that hold the blades in) make sure they have not been mangled).

I bought a big 20" northfiled planer, and the blades had been sharpened so many times that they were barely being held in place. Luckily blades are pretty common, but on a 15" planer depending if it's 3 or 4 blade HSS, that could run a hundred bucks.

Then just size up does the table elevate ok, does it look abused.

Just looking at the picture, I'd use the blade conversation to try to knock it down some. If in good shape other than surfaces rust or being dirty, offer 300 - 350.

I'd go the 400 if decent.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Fire it up see if it runs ok, check that the feed motor is functioning, run a 2×4 through it, and offer less. But I would buy it for the asking price. See if he has spare blades, setting jig, manual.

·
Registered
244 Posts
2 years ago I bought a delta 15" planer and paid $450.00 identical to the Grizzly one. I felt I got a great deal! I put new blades I bought from amazon for under $40.00, and they worked great. If the motor sounds good I would get it, I believe you wouldn't regret it once you used it.

Let us know if you get it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the feedback, gents.
I will have to first see if the A/C at my place is dead and if so how much that will cost me before I can get this. This is the style of planer I like, similar to the delta 33. The extra width is only better.

Again, Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.