LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have made a few.
I started by glueing together the pieces of wood. I used pieces about 1.5" square and 1/8"-1/4" thick. I have thin stuff on hand because I love making jewelry. I have used maple, purpleheart, walnut, padauk, ebony, a few types of rosewood and a few others depending on what I have on hand. I have also used some scraps of veneer to make really thin layers.
Next I took a caliper to my ring finger to figure out what size drill bit i should use and drilled the corrisponding hole. I had a nice fostner bit in the right size so I used that. then I sanded with a dremmel, stuck my finger in the hole and repeated until I had a good fit.
Then I cut out the rest of the ring. I started at about 1/4" thick, so I would have enough material "just in case". Then it was back to the dremel for more sanding. I rounded the edges to smooth out the profile.
I have used a variety of finishes on them, trying to find one I really like. Most recently I have been using a paste wax, and that seems to work well.

Scrappy has a good tutorial on making rings with-out a lathe (i think his were segmented), and someone else recently did one on making them with a lathe. Good luck! they are really fun

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all:

I glued up some laminates of the woods that I wanted to use.
After the laminates were dry (over night), I drilled the holes with a lipped brad point drill, extra sharp.
Then I cut out the ring blanks with a fret saw.
I was able to drill and cut out 12 ring blanks in an afternoon, 10 were keepers and two were duds.

Now, how long to do the final shaping and finishing?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I spent a couple of hours sanding mine. Depending on what tools you use you could spend more or less. Some people use a belt sander to shape the ring. I get nervous with my fingers that close, even though it is probably not much safer to have them close to a dremel, I feel better about it.
I found getting it roughed to the profile I wanted wasn't to difficult, but refining it to be uniform on all sides was a little tough. Also sanding it from rough to smooth and smoother was difficult for me at times, I would end up with a flat spot here and there.
Good Luck, let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.