LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends, I've been out of the shop a while working on other stuff, but now I am converting a spare bedroom into a nice office.I'm buying most of the furniture, but I want to build a wall to wall desktop, approximately 12 feet long. Finding a 12 foot long desk surface, or even butcher block counter isnt very easy. I did find it in BB but it wasn't wide enough. So I'll make my own panel.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking 5/4 or 6/4 Ash that I can apply a dark stain to, and a few coats of poly to protect against pencil marks. Finishes aren't really where I have much know-how, so perhaps someone can give a suggestion there.

Also, any suggestions on making a panel out of 12 foot boards to reduce warping and aligning well? I don't have a biscuit or domino jointer. I was thinking of just using cauls, or maybe I should make a dowel jig for this. I realize the edge glue should be strong enough alone, but I'm worried about aligning and cupping.

· Registered
6,243 Posts
Hmm,

Have you ever moved a 12 long hunk of butcher block countertop? Can you even move into house, and into the bedroom?
Suggest you clamp two 2x12x12' construction boards side by side, and make a test run into bedroom. If there are any sharp corners, need a new plan.

Only hardest woods will survive a modern ceramic ball point pen pressed hard. That is why they make desk top writing mats, to protect the delicate wood finish. Is a waste of time discussing best finish for desk top. If you want entire surface to be pen proof, use Formica/Wilsonart laminate top. It comes in many fake wood colors and finishes.

Laminating lumber to make a butcher block is basic skill every wood worker should know/learn. Don't need fancy modern biscuits, or dominos. Look at the Work Bench threads on LJ for some hints.

If you insist on buying pre-made: Butcher block slabs tend to be custom ordered to size. Lots and lots of companies sell them. Look at the J. Boos site or Butcher Block Co as examples.

Best Luck.

· Registered
58 Posts
I did something similar for my wife’s office a few years back. I made a few cabinets and some cross legs to set the top on.

The top is made from 5/4 white oak and finished with Osmo Polyx oil (hard wax oil). It’s made out of three separate sections as you can see in the pics. If you have enough “z clip” table top connectors then you shouldn’t have an issue with cupping on the top.

I think I used dominos on it for alignment but cauls can be used. Or biscuit joiners are pretty cheap nowadays and accomplish the same goal.

Have fun!

Attachments

· Administrator
3,351 Posts
Suggest you clamp two 2x12x12' construction boards side by side, and make a test run into bedroom. If there are any sharp corners, need a new plan.
Best Luck.
Excellent advice - But, just a single 2x4 or 2x6x12 would let you know how many doors would have to be removed. Or, will it fit through a window ??

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did something similar for my wife’s office a few years back. I made a few cabinets and some cross legs to set the top on.

The top is made from 5/4 white oak and finished with Osmo Polyx oil (hard wax oil). It’s made out of three separate sections as you can see in the pics. If you have enough “z clip” table top connectors then you shouldn’t have an issue with cupping on the top.

I think I used dominos on it for alignment but cauls can be used. Or biscuit joiners are pretty cheap nowadays and accomplish the same goal.

Have fun!
Just thought I'd point out, that is gorgeous. Great work. I don't get in shop often enough to hone those skills yet. Admittedly I'm just using some ikea furniture for the drawers, at least for now.

· Banned
991 Posts
It might not be nice enough for inside the house but we use Melamine in the shop for large table tops. It comes in several colors and wood grain appearances. They make special paste that eliminates the seams and I think you can get the product in longer lengths (IE: no seams in 12'). It is exceptionally easy to work with and eliminates the fuss with dealing with laminating. Properly supported it is very stable and flat.

My wife has a large crafting area in our basement that I plan to build her an "L" shaped worktop in of similar length. Will be using White Melamine for the countertop and interior cabinet spaces with black on the exterior and doors. We are already in process of building a 32' long cabinet space in our shop as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts