LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You do have a nice shop. And I like how you edged the mdf. How did you do it? And what do you mean by equity….i guess i may be a bit dull in this reguard.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Neil,
It's a good thing you got rid two gaps in the new cabinets. Other wise I would have had to lower the number of atta boys by two. ATTA BOY Neil. lol
Your shop is really coming together nicely. I really like what you are doing down there. Rand

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, All.

I like the fact that … the 8' MDF "proves" that I'll have plenty of room for long boards, on the RAS.

Rand: I replaced the first picture. WORLD of difference, huh ? ;-)

Spunwood: I'm grateful for not-very-detailed photography. The edges on the MDF are just the factory edges. The uncut edge looks exactly like the cut edge ;-) At some point, I'll glue the two 3/4" sheets together, and fasten them to the cabinets. At that point, I'll likely edge band it, or put up a hardwood edge. For now, I'm just using it as it is.

"Sweat equity" is an interesting term. Wikipedia defines it as:

"Sweat equity is a term used to describe the contribution made to a project by people who contribute their time and effort. It can be contrasted with financial equity which is the money contributed towards the project."

And …. Jack1: if my SHOP isn't clean, then the UPSTAIRS of our house isn't clean. And … since I'm pretty much the housekeeper on BOTH levels … I put a fair bit of time into prevention :)

I'm moving in….

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Neil, you need to clean that shop…..what a mess…...LOL

Great find! Always great to have more storage….. It seems that I never have enough (like clamps)....it is the ever present spiral…I get more tools…need more space to store them….make more shelves/cabinets (need more tools to make the cabinets/shelves)...need more space for the tools….etc…etc….you get the pic…..Be glad you took up woodworking…at least making the storage is DIY….J/K…Truthfully, though, those cabinets really fit the spot.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Love that storage… A long time ago I got seriously OCD about my handheld power tools. They each have their own case, either blow molded, or a ballistics nylon tool bag. Those loose power cords drive me insane. Short trip as it is….

Have you thought about laying those out as a miter station maybe?

·
In Loving Memory
17,103 Posts
Well done Neil. A great way to use some good cabinets. I got my son's old oak kitchen when he remodeled and I've used it in my shop in a very similar way you have.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I didn´t knew you were a monster-dinasaur -keeper Neil…..LOL

(look at the first picture Ras with a toolbelt)

nice score :) remember when people moving in there is a housewarming party tooo…..lol

have a great weekend Neil

Dennis

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
VERY nice place to put that beautiful old RAS. Looks like it cleaned up good. Tho, it looked nice when you first posted it.
Are you going to add boxes, or other types of supports either side of the RAS? Another place for drawers????
Good scores, BTW.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Looks good Neil, very good! Wish I was half as organized and my shop was 1/4-as clean as yours! That's one of my main goals over the next month or two, to get everything organized and try to keep it that way the best I can.

I need a nice workbench like you've got sitting in the middle. Yours appears to be big enough for what I might need, without taking up too much room.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dennis: of course, you're looking at the legendary DeWaltasauRAS. I thought everybody knew about that creature.

I made the HORRIBLE mistake of turning my back on it. It grabbed me BY the tool belt.

Luckily I was thinking quickly, and unbuckled the buckle, making a very narrow escape. Now, the task is to figure out how to get the tool belt BACK out of its cast iron jaws :)

Gene: I haven't touched it, yet LOL ! Phase One of the restoration WAS to get it OFF the shop floor. Phase Two is to order the few parts I think it needs-bearings and power cords. Phase Three-if I ever get there-is cosmetics, but … in truth … I don't think I would like it ANY better with fresh paint/powdercoating than I do, now :)

You and David both asked good questions. I'm thinking about how else to develop that "miter saw/RAS station." The Mr. Sawdust RAS Table looks like this (compliments of another LJ, but … I forgot who !):

Extensions make sense.

I thought about cutting through the MDF, and mounting the RAS so that its table is flush TO the MDF.

But … unless I raise the cabinets … that would be REALLY low for me.

reggie: I think it's like traffic. Somebody seems to believe that … one more lane on the highway will solve the traffic messes. Nah ;-)

dbhost: One idea that I really like is the whole …. Cut the cord off of ALL your hand-operated power tools, and then use extension cords for any and all of 'em. Leaves nothing but a short, short pigtail to "deal with."

One day :)

Jonathan: that bench cost me about $180, in materials, and was a joy to build. If interested, I did a blog on it, and-if memory serves (rare, these days !), provided a link to the plans. There are certainly better benches, but there may not be many better values in a bench :)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Thanks Neil, I'll read through the blog, especially if I can build it for $180, or close to that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.