LumberJocks

Bench/stand for metal working lathe

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Mainiac Matt updated 01-11-2015 09:44 PM 11 parts 22684 reads 65 comments total

Part 1: New lathe needs a place to hang out

12-18-2014 03:25 AM by Mainiac Matt | 8 comments »

After conspiring for some four years I finally saved up my pennies for the Grizzly G0602 metal cutting lathe. Had fun rigging it into my basement and began the process of disassembly, inspection and cleaning all the cosmoline off of it. These Chinese lathes are priced low enough for hobbyist to afford, but require a bit of TLC, as there are lots of burrs that need filing and grit to clean up in order to get everything moving smoothly. With the lathe weighing in at over 400 lb...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Joinery decisions and cutting the framing members

12-18-2014 03:47 AM by Mainiac Matt | 10 comments »

The top needs a 1×10 perimeter frame…. I was going to try using a Lock Miter bit I have, but couldn’t get a tight fit and the end grain locking tab kept braking. So I decided to glue and screw a simple but joint… to support the frame, I cut a shelves on the outer sides of the post tops. I cut the cheeks on the band saw and for the shoulders I set the depths stop on my SCMS and used the fence stop to get identical parts. A little paring with a 3̶...

Read this entry »


Part 3: more progress

12-19-2014 03:21 AM by Mainiac Matt | 2 comments »

Breaking down panels with my cordless saw and a T square… I cut them oversized so I can get a precision cut on the TS with the new sled. I decided to dado the stretchers to mount the bottom shelf instead of using ledgers or just letting the plywood rest on top of the strethers. Plywood fits nice and snug… All done with the dado blade now, so I decided to clean up the Fusion blade before putting it back on.

Read this entry »


Part 4: She's got legs...

12-21-2014 04:44 AM by Mainiac Matt | 5 comments »

I decided that I would mend my errant dados instead of replacing the leg, as it would be trying to repeat the setups exactly and match the other legs. Here’s pic of one repair…. And here’re the legs assembled.

Read this entry »


Part 5: Ledgers and mid-span support

12-22-2014 03:32 AM by Mainiac Matt | 4 comments »

Today’s progress….. Ledgers and mid-span member to support the 3/4” plywood (over which goes the surprise) Ready to pull off the bench and flip it over next…. I’m debating finishes. I’m committed to not spend money on this project and have a couple options on the shelf… One is a Hunter Green stain Over which I’d put a couple coats of poly Another is 2-in-1 Pecan poly shades Neither are great options…. But ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Short stretchers and sanding

12-24-2014 04:27 AM by Mainiac Matt | 3 comments »

Decided to add short stretchers to cap the plywood shelf ends… Since these where an after thought, I just used pocket screws.. But joints look nice and tight after a little sanding… Thinking about over driving the screws and filling the holes after the finish is applied

Read this entry »


Part 7: Sand, start finish and tool tray

12-27-2014 03:52 PM by Mainiac Matt | 5 comments »

Decided to keep cost minimal and use an unopened can of Pecan Poly Shades….. And only managed to spill half of it on the floor….. Here’s the first coat…. Nothing to brag about… Glued up some scraps to make a tool tray for the tool kit that came with the lathe… Some metric wrenches, Allen keys, dead centers and a nice chuck for the tail stock…. I’ll spiffy it up with some Kaizen foam when I’m done… Hope to get a ...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Ready for the top

12-28-2014 03:20 PM by Mainiac Matt | 6 comments »

The finish is more or less a bust (I’m not showing the bad sides), but I need to move on…. Here it is with the tool tray mounted … And if you haven’t figured it out yet, here are the materials for the top… A rebar reinforced, 5” thick, poured concrete block, with vertical pipes for through bolting the lathe down…. Anybody got a 24” bull float I can borrow?

Read this entry »


Part 9: Leveled the bench and poured concrete top

01-02-2015 03:55 AM by Mainiac Matt | 7 comments »

Trimmed the front leg bottoms and slipped in plastic shims to get the bench spot on level… One of Matt’s “maxims” is to never pour concrete without steel reinforcement (please don’t ask me how I came to this conclusion).... Bolt holes have to align to the drip tray holes… Ready for business… I forgot what a PITA hand mixing concrete is….. Not perfect, but not too shabby either. I needed a little Portl...

Read this entry »


Part 10: Skim coat to make up for my "iffy" flat work

01-10-2015 05:54 PM by Mainiac Matt | 6 comments »

Every time I do mason work, I finish up with a fresh respect for professional masons who do the work very well. There’s more science to it than one might think and it takes a lot of practice to get the techniques right. My second observation is that whenever I do a project that doesn’t turn out so well, I always find that there are good YouTube videos out there that would have helped me a lot, had I watched them BEFORE I started, as I made the classic novice error of mixing th...

Read this entry »


Part 11: Houston, the Eagle has landed

01-11-2015 09:44 PM by Mainiac Matt | 9 comments »

My friends son (later 20s and a great guy) is pretty buff and stopped by to help lift the lathe…. Mounting holes lined up perfectly. Now to bolt it down and see if I can put Humpty Dumpty back together again…. That pretty much wraps up the build… I’ll post some pics and list it as a project when I’m up and running and again when I have Kaizen foam in the tool area. Thanks for tuning in.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com