shop bench with lots of storage #9: 12 drawers installed

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mainiac Matt posted 07-16-2012 12:32 AM 6378 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: finished the FF and started installing drawers Part 9 of shop bench with lots of storage series Part 10: fabricating the risers and getting the beast off of my bench... »

Been out of the loop for a while… took the kiddies up north for 4 days @ my MIL’s cottage, and true to my well established pattern of getting sick on vacations, I came down with a bug. I limped into work on Tuesday but my wife persuaded me into seeing the doc on Wednesday during my lunch break…. PNEUMONIA !! So I’ve been a drugged up hurtin’ puppy, pretty much traping back and forth from work to bed ever since. But I was finally well enough to get some shop time this weekend.

Getting right down to it, I realized I’ve never installed drawers with slides b4. I had picked up these older style kitchen slides on the cheap from Grizzly years ago for this project… so I was committed to using them and just kinda installed them the way that seemed right, using spacer blocks to get consistant positioning.

I guess what I wound up with is kind of a morph between a face frame showing, and an all drawer front. I had cut all the MDF for the boxes long ago per the the original plan (which didn’t have a FF) and then looked around at what I had for materials. I decided buy a sheet of Melamine at work and have my buds hook me up by cutting it up on the Selco and edge banding the drawers. So it turned out to be somewhat of an odd duck, but I kind of like it.

One benefit of having all that MDF in the boxes turned out to be the weight…. here’s all 12 drawers at full extenstion… and not even close to being tippy.

Next up is the 5” risers, then edge band and install the top and we’ll call this one done.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

5 comments so far

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

9263 posts in 2810 days

#1 posted 07-16-2012 12:41 AM

Yours truely…. strategically hiding my big old beer belly :^O

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View crashn's profile


528 posts in 2947 days

#2 posted 07-16-2012 12:51 AM

Those look great! I have been recycling old kitchen cabinets that I find free on CL. I have a bunch of those style slides in stock now, the seem to work pretty good and the price has been right!


-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View SirFatty's profile


545 posts in 2694 days

#3 posted 07-16-2012 01:20 AM

That’s a lot of drawers! Looks really good!

-- Visit my blog at

View dbhost's profile


5772 posts in 3714 days

#4 posted 07-16-2012 04:15 PM

Nice work. I have a similar project in progress right now, and I too have been slowed down by pnuemonia… Stinks…

I am spending the extra $$ in my project for the soft close drawer slides though. I really OUGHT to be raiding heavy trash days when my neighbors pitch their original cabinets / drawers for the hardware, but I have been neglectful, and Home Depot has the soft close on the cheap… I figure that is what I will be going with in the house, and honestly, I like the soft close when my tools are in those drawers!

The drawer fronts have me curious. I probably ought to read your older blog entries, but I have to ask… What material are they and how did you make them? I was planning on simple plywood drawer fronts edge banded with iron on edge banding. Then the whole shebang treated to a couple of coats of BLO, and finally lacquer mostly because I am having fun spraying lacquer even though I suspect the neighbors high school aged kids hang out on the other side of the fence huffing the stuff when I spray…

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

9263 posts in 2810 days

#5 posted 07-16-2012 05:00 PM

the drawer fronts are 3/4” melamine with edge banding….

I can buy it on the cheep at work and use the companies equipment to cut it up and edge band it…

My original plan was to make solid wood drawer fronts… and to cover the ends with oak plywood, but I decided to go the melamine route to save cost and time.

I’m supposed to be making my daughter a hope chest for her 13th BD and it’s looking like I’m going to be very tight on time…. so I need to get this one done and out of the way.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics