LumberJocks

Hope Chest for Daughter #2 #14: A little metal working

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mainiac Matt posted 01-08-2017 01:20 AM 839 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 13: one step back Part 14 of Hope Chest for Daughter #2 series Part 15: First raised panels (ever) »

This entry illustrates metal working in support of woodworking. I snapped the pics and added it to the blog thinking that some of you might find this work interesting.

The panel raising bit from my new set is too big for the hole in my router table plate…

So I broke down the table to have at modifying the aluminum plate. On a side note, you can see here that this beastly 3 HP PC VS router has been modified to put an incremental depth dial on the plunge mechanism, which is handy for use on the router table.

Fortunately, one of my other hobbies is metal working, so I figured I could mount the plate in the four jaw chuck and bore out the hole…. No joy! The plate is too big for the lathes ~10” swing

So that left using the boring bar on the mill…

But the plate is too big for my 5” machinist vise…

Fortunately, you can flip the jaws outboard on these vises…

Now it fits…

Next step is to indicate in the existing hole, so it’s on center with the mill’s spindle axis…

Then mount the boring head and go to town. The boring bar has a dovetailed mechanism that allows you to precisely move the cutter position with a lead screw and a dial graduated to .001” increments. You have to remember that your diameter changes by double the dialed amount however. I was cutting ~0.030” with each pass. Note: I had to add a spacer in the vise so the boring head was clear of the movable vise block.

The actual machining didn’t take very long, and the aluminum cut so easily that I over shot and bored the hole a little too big. Fortunately, I avoided fouling the threaded holes for the plate insert.

Now the raised panel bit fits…

I’m quite the novice when it comes to metal working. I understand the processes, but lack experience and it takes me a long time to muddle through. This little modification took most of the afternoon, and the clean up took another hour after dinner. But it’s done now, and I did it myself. :^)

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam



4 comments so far

View Don Broussard's profile

Don Broussard

3758 posts in 2668 days


#1 posted 01-08-2017 01:27 AM

Good on ya, Matt. I just knew you’d get it done somehow, some way.

-- People say I hammer like lightning. It's not that I'm fast -- it's that I never hit the same place twice!

View Festus56's profile

Festus56

3815 posts in 1644 days


#2 posted 01-08-2017 01:54 AM

That turned out nice Matt. I would love to be able to do modifications like that !!

-- Mark -- Really we're not crazy, just "Limited Editions" -- http://www.jmh-limited-editions.com/home.html --

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

19803 posts in 3091 days


#3 posted 01-08-2017 02:00 AM

It’s nice to have toys to fix the tools….
or is that tools to fix the toys….

Either way…. well done!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procrastination a bad thing?

View Mike_D_S's profile

Mike_D_S

595 posts in 2631 days


#4 posted 01-08-2017 06:24 PM

First off, nice clean work.

However, I’ll follow up with one word of caution as it looks like the clearance between the raising bit and the router plate hole is still very tight. I’d just take my cutting carefully as you are essentially relying on the rigidity of the entire system to maintain that clearance.

Mike

-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com