LumberJocks

Something with an "R"

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by sras updated 06-14-2015 03:37 PM 5 parts 7659 reads 38 comments total

Part 1: Concept creation

06-13-2015 04:48 PM by sras | 9 comments »

Sorry – no pictures on this one. They will show up in the next post. Just a brief introduction to this project. . My brother and sister-in-law have a gift exchange we do. It is not tied to any holiday or schedule. When we are ready to exchange – it happens. If not, wait until the next time we get together. . One requirement is that the gift is handmade (at least mostly). Another is that it follow a theme. These are drawn from an idea box after the previous gifts are ex...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Materials & getting started

06-13-2015 05:19 PM by sras | 7 comments »

I wanted to have a specific color combination: . Yellow field, Black letters and Red trim. . I chose Yellowheart, Wenge and Bloodwood. I had never worked with any of these before. While shopping, I found some sycamore for the inside of the box. Here is a shot of the bloodwood trim strips. Here is a view of the sycamore ready to be glued to the mdf core. You can see the plastic wrap under the pieces. That is folded over the top. And clamped with a backing board. Once...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Inlaid Letters

06-13-2015 11:38 PM by sras | 11 comments »

For the letter pattern, I started with a Medusa font. I had to modify it quite a bit to work with my 1/8” router bit. . I then sliced some veneer from the wenge. The veneer cuts were just over 1/16” and ended up at about 0.040” after sanding. I let the wenge be a little thicker. . I printed out the pattern in reverse and glued it to what would be the back side of the veneer. The process was: . 1. Cut the pattern with my scroll saw and cleaned it up with som...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Box Assembly

06-14-2015 02:38 PM by sras | 5 comments »

The last picture from the previous post is a good place to start for this segment. After the inlays were done, each piece is rabbeted on all 4 sides. The bloodwood edging also has a rabbet. Since the joint is visible from both sides and I had a little bit of variation in the rabbets, I labeled each side for a wide or narrow joint. Each piece of edging was carefully fitted for a tight joint. Then the edging was glued on.This is a good time to point out that the joinery plan calls for ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Stands

06-14-2015 03:37 PM by sras | 6 comments »

A big part of the challenge in displaying all 6 sides is the stand. . I spent a lot of time designing a stand that shared elements from the font. It took several iterations to get something that looked natural and part of the theme of the box. You can see the final outline here. In the end, it just felt out of place. The assembly was too big and it drew attention away from the box. So, I set aside that design (and all the hours that invested in it) and came up with something simpl...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com