LumberJocks

Tea Bag Holder Cabinet #7: More work on the doors

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by sras posted 02-17-2021 03:54 AM 567 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Box Assembly Part 7 of Tea Bag Holder Cabinet series Part 8: Door work continues »

I’m still at work on this. Had a couple days out of the shop – couldn’t keep it warm.

A lot of the work here is slow – plenty of time at work with little to see.

The doors get some decorative strips on them. I chose to put the grooves in before I separated the doors.

I use a 3/32” bit in my router table. The fence and stops allowed me to accurately locate the grooves – until I misread my tape measure :)

I used a chisel and sanding to get the patch flush.

All 6 grooves in place (the patch is in the lower right of this picture).

Now I can split the door blank into the two individual doors.

I have a plywood filler held in place with double sided tape on the inside. This helps me keep the doors stable when I am working on them.

Now it’s time to mount the hinges. I find these hinges to be a bit tricky to get installed. They are very precise and don’t allow for much misalignment.

The first step was to get the hinge recesses located accurately. That was done in post #5. The hinge notches have a tight fit for the hinges. It takes some pressure to get them to seat comletely.

Next is to get the box & door set up to locate the screw holes.

I use a piece of cardboard and layers of tape until I get a spacer that sets the correct gap between the box & door.

I have a set of stub drill bits that have a very fine point that I use to locate the screw centers.

I take my time here and adjust the point until it is as close to center as I can make it.

I start by drilling for the #2 screws first. If I am not happy with the location I can try to adjust it when I drill for the #4 screws next.

I use a steel screw to create the threads for the brass screw. I started out with too small of a pilot hole and broke the steel screw. Never a fun thing. I had to drill an oversize hole and plug it.

The plug ended up a little off center. The pilot hole is in the correct place.

Here all four holes are drilled. (Tiny holes)

I only install 2 of the #2 screws in each hinge at this time.

All my careful work paid off. I’m happy with the alignment.

I then opened up the holes and installed the #4 screws.

That is it for this post. There is more work on the doors to come up next.

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive



5 comments so far

View Kras's profile

Kras

8 posts in 30 days


#1 posted 02-17-2021 02:23 PM

Very nice job!!

-- If you are afraid to make a mistake you never achieve your goals!

View lew's profile

lew

13317 posts in 4766 days


#2 posted 02-17-2021 02:47 PM

Looking Good, Steve! I really like your setup for getting the hinges aligned.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View sras's profile

sras

5876 posts in 4140 days


#3 posted 02-17-2021 03:46 PM

Thanks!

Lew – I had lots of challenges the last time I did a hinge install – more planning this time. And a design that enabled better fitting.

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive

View htl's profile

htl

5358 posts in 2170 days


#4 posted 02-18-2021 05:48 AM

Great work and going to be a winner for sure!!!

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs https://www.lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/130264

View sras's profile

sras

5876 posts in 4140 days


#5 posted 02-18-2021 02:19 PM

Thanks Bruce!

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com