LumberJocks

Hutch & Buffet

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Mark updated 10-17-2015 05:08 PM 9 parts 11927 reads 24 comments total

Part 1: Buffet leg assembly

06-19-2015 04:27 PM by Mark | 1 comment »

Buffet Leg Assembly To complete the dining room suit I needed to build a hutch and buffet. I found a picture in the Stickley catalogue the Mrs. and I both like. After going to 2 different outlets I could not find a copy in any of the stores. I have had to draw the plans as best I can with out the benefit of an actual piece. However there are many different resources on the web to supply me with construction formats and techniques.As before I have drawn every thing up in AutoCAD then re...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Buffet Case

07-11-2015 07:25 PM by Mark | 4 comments »

As I mentioned earlier I had planed most of my 4/4 stock to 7/8”. Some of this is for the front assembly. Ripped to the proper thickness and cut to length. Cutting the dovetail on the top of each leg for the top rail. Drilling out the waist for the various mortises. Cutting door and drawer dividers to size. Front assembly dry fit Some of the glue up. Lesson learned…Use glue with a longer open time. This is what it is shaping up to Machinin...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Buffet Doors

08-02-2015 11:32 PM by Mark | 3 comments »

The plan was to make solid wood doors. For each door I used 2 pcs of 7×17” Cherry ,sliced and planed them to 5/16 I then glued them up to make a piece 14×17.While these were setting up I cut the rails and stiles to size. Mortises and tenons were cut. And a 5/16 dado was cut to accept the door panel.Door #1 dry fit. I made some accents for the door fronts. I ripped some Walnut to 1/8×7/8, cut to size and half lapped the joints. When the glue was dried I sc...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Drawers

08-13-2015 11:12 PM by Mark | 2 comments »

To make the drawers I wanted 2 contrasting woods. The Cherry will darken considerably so I thought Maple would be the answer for the sides. I picked up a piece of 1×6. Planed it to 1/2” and cut it to length. The plan was to use hand cut, half bind dovetails for the construction. I’ve never done this before ( or any other kind of dovetail) so I did practice on 10/15 pcs of scrap before hand. Now like a complete dumb ass, I never took any pics of the pin cutting process, but it di...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Buffet top and shelves.

08-23-2015 04:43 PM by Mark | 1 comment »

This was the easy part. Cut some boards,do some glue up and I’m done. Right?! All things said and done , it worked out not to bad. I didn’t have any OH NO!! moments this time. :) As there were 5 pieces (4 Cherry @ 4.52” and 1 Walnut @2.5”), I did the glue up in 2 sections. I was going to add Walnut bread board ends to mirror the dining table I built.After sanding and scraping the top, I cut it to length. I routed the tenons. Using the router table I cut the mortic...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Hutch frame

09-03-2015 04:34 PM by Mark | 4 comments »

Picked up another load of 4/4 Cherry. After planing to 7/8” I rough cut it to size, straightened out the edges, ripped the corner posts and cut to size. I laid out the dove tail for the bottom rail on the 2 front corner posts. I drilled out some of the waist then chopped the rest. Chopping the mortices (after I had drilled most of the waist) at the top of the corner posts. The bottom of the cabinet will be solid Cherry. To allow for expansion it will sit inside a recess co...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Fitting the bottom and the glue up

09-20-2015 04:25 PM by Mark | 3 comments »

After gluing up 4-3” boards for the base of the hutch I was able to run them though the planer . Cut to length. Using a straight edge jig just a wee bit wider than the stock, I cut the tenons on both ends. I cut 2 pcs for the bread boards and routed the mortices. The thought was to use box joints to join the sides to the bottom. So after a bit of figuring I cut the fingers in the bread board first, then the base of the side assembly. Drilling holes for the pegs Ma...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Buffet doors

10-02-2015 10:37 PM by Mark | 3 comments »

This is the part I was a bit concerned about. Making the hutch doors. Because they are fairly tall and slender I was a little worried about how well they would support the weight of the glass and making them with out a twist. But what the heck…everyone else does it. So after ripping the 4/4 stock to 2” wide I sent it through the planer to bring it down to 3/4” in hind site 7/8” might have been a better option. Cutting the stock to length. After pre drilling it’s chopping time ...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Final install.

10-17-2015 05:08 PM by Mark | 3 comments »

So this is where I left off. I moved the hutch inside for a dress rehearsal on the buffet. Back out to the shop / garage for the finish. 2 coats of diy WOP. After a days set up and drying I sprayed the whole project over 3 days with 4 coats of water born Varathane. After at the Varathane hardened I installed the drawer hardware. Finished doors Making the trim to secure the mirrors and glass panels. I used 1/4” plywood to provide backing for the mirrors and slotted washers to...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com