LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Project Information

Here's a truck I made for a friend's third birthday. It's walnut and hard maple, with some store-bought wheels I found in my garage after my circle-cutter broke. It's from a plan by Jim Makowicki. Finished with high-gloss polyurethane.

This was apparently one of very few non-pink gifts this little girl got for her birthday.

I'm not sure how well the hinge is going to hold; I had to shorten the screws to keep them from poking through the bed of the truck.

My F-150 is for scale.

Gallery

Comments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,673 Posts
looks like a nice truck from here. If she doesn't want to move mountains, she can move doll clothes ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
That's really cool! I bet she will play with that a lot more than some of the pink stuff. Young kids love to play with things that do stuff and move. I am sure she will enjoy it, nice work. If you get a request to fix the hinge, drill out each hole on the hinge plate on the bottom and put in a machine screw. On the top side, countersink the nut. If the bed is not thick enough to cut a plug, get some veneer for plywood edging, they have white birch at home depot and use a plug cutter to make a circle. That should be strong enough :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Actually, I was thinking a flat-head machine screw countersunk from the top. The flat top of the head would show-no big deal, it's under the bed-and there's plenty of room for a nut on the underside of the hinge. The base, by the way, is 1/2" thick, and the dump bed is 1/4".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,109 Posts
Nice to see wooden toys still being made and used. Good job !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,571 Posts
Now your hooked, more to come…...................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
@hunter71 I'm really curious how you finish your models. This one only had a few pieces and I tried to pre-finish them, because it's always a pain to get in all the nooks and crannies after assembly, but you have to keep the finish off the parts that need to take glue, and then you get glue squeeze out on top of your finish. On this truck I took a hybrid approach, applying one coat of polyurethane pre-assembly, and a second coat after.
 
Top