LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Project Information

The chest is made out of cedar, salvaged from an old corner cabinet disassembled 20 years ago when we moved to our current house. Fortunately I kept the lumber in the attic for all this time.

I have been researching for a tool chest since a couple of months ago. (I don´t know why surfing the web is now called research)

I finally decided for a chest similar in size to Gerstner 92XL , but I didn´t like the fact that upper drawers are partially hidden by the front rail of the chest. So I made the upper case copying from DocK16´s blog (Woodsmith 183)

PS: This short video shows the lid and drawer opening

Overall measurement of this tool chest (HxWxD)

Cm 47x60x33 ( 18.5" x 23.5" x 13")

Top compartment cm 8 x 56 x 26 (3.125" x 22" x 10.25")


(4) cm 4.9 x 9 x 27 (1.93"x 3.5" x 10.625")

(6) cm 16.5 x 3 x 27 (6.5" x 1.2" x 10.625")

(2) cm 16.5 x 3,5 x 27 (6.5" x 1.4" x 10.625")

(2) cm 56.5 x 4.5 x 27 (22.25" x 1.75"x 10.625")

(1) cm 56.5 x 6 x 27 (22.25"x 2.375" x 10.625")

Total 15 drawers

Total empty weight : A lot. This type of tool box should be placed on a roller chest.

I started building this chest by beginning of March this year. So at the end it took me 6 weekends as average.
A lot of distractions, besides daily work for a living, business trips, etc. Suddenly I was required to make and finish a couple of presents, such as the last chessboard . I still have one in progress.

Cutting the boards left quite a lot of scrap. Almost all the miter ends.

Meanwhile I saw Woodworker's Journal video. Couldn´t resist to build my Tambour Box from the corners leftovers. A fun distraction indeed.

One of the toughest parts was planning the measurements, and the cuts. Despite I choose a nice curly cedar for the small drawer fronts. I needed to redo some of them, and lost the nice continous grain pattern. (It could be worse)

For the measurements, I picked up Gertsner measures, and made the carcass. Measures of the drawers were taken from the dry assembled case.

I include a style and rail horizontal drawer separator dadoing the sides of the carcase. I did also make 3 vertical separators for the small drawers.

Trying to get aligned the drawers as much as possible was also a challenge. Got to get things right in four dimensions. Length, width, depth, and grain pattern !! I almost forgot about that. Knowledgeable people only concentrate in grain and design. I need to concentrate in the basics, just to say to protect my fingers. (Still a long way to go)

Drawers are standard tongue and groove jointed, and lined up with green vinyl.

Lid is box jointed in the sides with a mitered inlay in the borders. Piano hinge and neumatic support.

I know, that piston has nothing to do with this stile. But I liked the way it worked. I may change it in the next one.

Hope you enjoy.



· Registered
321 Posts
Hi BUck,
Sorry for the delay. I ´ve just arrived from holidays. Thank you for the comment.

I bought the pulls from a hardware store in Buenos Aires, Argentina, which might be outrageous for you to buy from.

I believe Lee valley carries some similar.

Take care