This is a queen sized bed I built for a good friend of mine based on a plan I saw in Workbench Magazine. The lower stretchers and bottom portion of the headboard were made with birch plywood. The headboard, headboard slats and bed side rails were done with poplar. I used reclaimed pine for the slats and chose a european type slat system to ensure uniform support across the entire mattress. The finished piece was sanded thru 3 grits up to 150. I preconditioned the wood with Deft Lacquer Sanding sealer which I mixed 1 part to 9 with lacquer thinner, based on the advise of a friend who does alot of finishing. The color was applied with General Finishes Java Gel Stain wiped on and left for 1 minute. Four coats of General Finishes Satin Arm-r-seal completed the project. This is the first large piece of furniture I've attempted and was pleased with the results. I hope it makes a nice addition to the home of a very dear friend.