LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Project Information

The dimensions for this projects came from "Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture". Bottom stretchers are M&T into the legs. There are top stretchers (not visible in photos) that are dovetailed into the tops of the legs.

It is constructed from QSWO. The finish was an aniline dye, and then several coats of tung oil. Evidently not very water resistant as the plant pot that my wife has sitting on it has left a blackish ring on the top that I will need to refinish at some point.

As a bonus, I built a circle cutting jig for my bandsaw just for this project and it worked pretty well. When weighing the pros and cons of using a router trammel or circle jig I would vote for the router trammel as it leaves a nicer quality cut than my BS. Then again, maybe I just need to tune up the BS again.

Gallery

Comments

· Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Wow, I really like that table. Big beefy and and looks great! I bet you could dance on that thing for hours and not do a bit of harm.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
Very nice! What flavor aniline dye did you use?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19,715 Posts
Very well done Jeff a great example of Craftsman furniture
 

· Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Nice plant stand.. Thanks for posting….............Schloemoe
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
This looks like a beautiful, correctly-proportioned and quality-built piece… I like it!

I made a little pot holder and had an issue with the finish I used as well. I used Danish Oil, followed by wax. I think I'm going to sand it down a touch, then put multiple coats of Helmsman Spar Varnish on it. I believe I got the matte finish, as I didn't want it to be overly shiny. Maybe something similar would work on the top for you?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Really looks great. It's got me thinking I may try something similar.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Good job, Jeff. That table's on my "to do" list.

I think you just found out that water is NOT a friend of a pure oil finish. Those dark rings will come out with a little oxalic acid, and then I think I would use a wipe-on poly or a Spar Varnish like Johnathan did.

By the way, the top looks like a full 1"-or maybe should I say a full 25MM. That's the kind of detail that separates a Lumberjock's work from most of the factory work that's being done today.

Keep it up.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,054 Posts
Very nicely done : )
 

· Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Top