LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Project Information

I bought an old Ohio Tool Jointer Plane for $30 on ebay and it needed restored and a new plane tote. I restored it all, repainted it, removed all the rust and then I needed a new tote. Well I had some maple scraps laying around, so I glued up 2 pieces, traced the old one and went to work. Hand formed with a rasp and finished with 4 coats of clear lacqer. I was very happy with the results. The first knob if the original beech handle that I sanded down and finished the same as the tote.

Gallery

Comments

· Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Me Gusta.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
18,689 Posts
Nice job !! I typically don't care for the light colored totes, I usually give mine a coat of dark danish oil. Maple is especially difficult to make darker. Yours however seems to fit nicely. It has some very nice grain.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,465 Posts
Great score on the plane! Is that an 8 equivalent? 24 in? I really like the tote. Like Don, I typically like the darker totes, but yours works pretty well-you just have to turn a matching knob for it. ;-) Great job on the restoration. May it serve you for many years to come.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Your refurbish job looks great! It is so satisfying to take a discarded tool and make it whole again.
I tried really hard to darken the maple totes I made, now I just live with the color, and lately have noted darkening where my hand has pressed the most, which has added a lot of character.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Nice save! Good job bringing and oldie back to life.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
I like the shape. Very nice and well done.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Well done on this tote, really like the maple too.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I just bought a #7 jointer plane at a yard sale for fifteen dollars. It is so rusty that I can't find the manufacturer's name on it. I plan to remove the rust by electrolisis as soon as I can find some Arm and Hammer washing soda.
I have already removed the wood parts and plan to replace them. I just hope mine turns out as nice as yours.
Kimball
 

· Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
I had a hard time finding washing soda, so I used ph up fromthe spa section or pool section. It's sodium carbonate and works perfectly. I'm doing a bedrock 605 1/2 right now and it worked perfectly. Electrolysis is completely genius! Works like a charm and takes completely rusty metal and makes it look like nothing ever happened. Good luck with your restore! Let me know if you have any questions through the process.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
18,689 Posts
I just coincendently picked up an Ohio Tool #6 and #7 just a few days apart. I love the ohio tool tote design and the large low knob. Here is the #7. The #6 is in the middle of the restore.

 

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
18,689 Posts
Hey Greg, amazon.com sells the washing soda.
 
Top